HTH are Cadets winning?

cadets win every time their eleven-minute show generates 19 pages of discussion that spans hours upon hours of thought.

which suggests to me that the judging and fan communities are divided and that Cadets' staff is happy to exploit that division.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this responce on the review forum in responce to the cadets show, and after posting was wondering what changes would make the show more appealing to others. This is not a narration bashing post, these are only my opinions on things i think would make the show more appealing to me.

My opinion on the show: i personally feel the narration plays a huge part in the show, that being said, there are several parts of the narration that are un necessary. Alot of the spoken word can be takin out, with the show still working just fine . The blue shades rehearsal section is a part i dont feel should be messed with to much. The narration is to involved in what they are doing. However the opener has alot of narration in it that can be takin out, no specific parts of the narration come to mind, but i do remember there being just to much in the opener that didnt really have to be there. In the last part of the show i dont think there needs to be any narration except towards the very end leading up to the final "i believe". The whole band nerd speech at the beginning of this section is just lame (not to mention the narrator sounds creepy and almost suicidal at times). Anyway hopfully they will make some changes and take at least some of the narration out, if they do this i only think it can benefit them. Again this is only my opinion

Just CAN it all and let that hornline ROCK!!!!

Lol!! I would agree with that wholeheartedly. That was exactly what I thought as I watched the show. I liked some of it, I really did. It helped paint a picture of a day in the life of a drum corps experience, that I don't know how else could be gotten across without vocalizing it. I also liked some of the intro comments, and most of the rehearsal comments. I also thought there were superfluous comments that could be removed, and also didn't care for the band nerd part. If they want to leave those sentiments in, I think they could find a different way to convey it.

its not what he says (the music student part), but who is saying it....

Its creepy the way he speaks....im sure in that corps there is a better Speaker, a better actor...but then again, its also tied with the drill....

I say let ; Let the the people who know how to write top level drum corps show write them. And, Let us critics do what we do.

Oh my! You've got some really strong feelings about this! I guess that's good. Everyone needs to have a passion.

Well...against my better judgment, which is telling me to not even respond, let me remind you, my friend, that there are a lot of people who travel extensively as a part of their jobs. Typically, I can manipulate my work-travel schedule so that I can catch shows in several different regions. Last year, I saw shows in So Cal, Atlanta and San Antonio, which in fairness is also why I didn't feel any particular urgancy to go to finals. I'd already seen quite a few shows. So, you are correct that I wouldn't fly to the other coast just to see a DC show...I didn't have to.

That said, the fact is that even if I hadn't seen Cadets this season, I don't really HAVE to have seen this year's show to profer an opinion that I don't like narration in general. I've seen plenty of it. I don't like it. It's really that simple. I also don't particularly like ice hockey. Been to plenty of games. It's not my thing. Doesn't make hockey a bad or stupid sport. I simply don't like it. Same with narration. It just doesn't work FOR ME. And that's all I've ever said.

I've been a big fan of past Cadets shows... "Perilous Skies..." "Beef" "WSS" The millennium show. I love what the Cadets have done for the activity. I've cheered on most of the innovations they've brought to the field. I just...don't...like...narration. And that's...okay.

And as to whether I've seen Cadets this season... I'm not going to say! I kind of like that this is causing you some cognative disequilibrium. ^0^

I see what you're saying. I believe drum corps and hockey are not exactly comparable. Drum corps is an artistic presentation. Just because it uses an element that you have found distasteful in the past does not mean a new presentation involving it would not connect with you in a good way. That is why I believe it is important to experience the show before you come to such a final conclusion. That's why I believe that it is not fair to make a judgment about one corps show based on another corps show. If you have seen the show, fine, this is your opinion. However, if you have not, then I still believe what you're doing is being closed minded.

w/Stp:

I think the Cavaliers should change their show to an Elton John tribute 'cause I never really liked Billy Joel. The Bluecoats are sending a bad message with their show and need to change it to a show about recovery and "going straight" instead of a life of crime. Horse Racing isn't fair to the horses and promotes gambling. Carolina Crown should be cited by the SPCA and change their show title to Born Free.

/sarcasm off.

Why does something have to be popular to be good?

Also, where is this poll you are referring to. I think making an assumption that this board represents the average Drum Corps fan is a bit of a leap.

Edited by Wadep66