Cadets in Alpharetta, GA

So I went to Alpharetta, GA to see Cadets rehearse and play their show and here is what I gathered. The rehearsal was very good. There was a lot of energy despite the heat which was kind of brutal yesterday. They had some pretty good moments and of course some moments that could have been improved but it is early season so that is to be expected. the show to me was kind of flat. It didn't seem like there was much energy. It was as if they got burned in rehearsal but the warm up was very nice. They were LOUD!! The part that bothered me was that in the stands while they were playing, all that you heard was stuff like "There is way too much talking", "Somebody pull the plug". I am not going to say that I disagree with the thoughts of the spectators but it was sad because they should stop all of the #### narration. There is just too much of it and it takes away from the music that is behind all of it. What also sucks is that if they were to take away a lot of the narration, I don't know if the concept of the show would get across. Also, if they were to take out a lot of the narration, the music alone wouldn't be good enough to earn them a win because there isn't enough of it. There just isn't enough music because over 50% of their show is talking. If they lose the narration, I think that there would be more points for them to earn and not be taken away. Other than that obvious chatter, the show and music and drumline was good.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to Alpharetta, GA to see Cadets rehearse and play their show and here is what I gathered. The rehearsal was very good. There was a lot of energy despite the heat which was kind of brutal yesterday. They had some pretty good moments and of course some moments that could have been improved but it is early season so that is to be expected. the show to me was kind of flat. It didn't seem like there was much energy. It was as if they got burned in rehearsal but the warm up was very nice. They were LOUD!! The part that bothered me was that in the stands while they were playing, all that you heard was stuff like "There is way too much talking", "Somebody pull the plug". I am not going to say that I disagree with the thoughts of the spectators but it was sad because they should stop all of the #### narration. There is just too much of it and it takes away from the music that is behind all of it. What also sucks is that if they were to take away a lot of the narration, I don't know if the concept of the show would get across. Also, if they were to take out a lot of the narration, the music alone wouldn't be good enough to earn them a win because there isn't enough of it. There just isn't enough music because over 50% of their show is talking. If they lose the narration, I think that there would be more points for them to earn and not be taken away. Other than that obvious chatter, the show and music and drumline was good.

Oh, please. Talking is not over 50% of their show. I've seen the show live. I have recordings. Please, in the future, don't post lies. Thank you.

The part that bothered me was that in the stands while they were playing, all that you heard was stuff like "There is way too much talking", "Somebody pull the plug".

Interesting. I, too, was at the show, sitting dead on the 50 on row 6, and heard not a single comment - pro or con. All I heard was enthusiastic applause at various appropriate points in the show. Of course, I realize there is no way I could have heard everything going on in the stands - end zone to end zone, top to bottom. Perhaps I just wasn't sitting in the "Anti-spoken word" section." :doh:

I was at the Alpharetta show:

The corps was even distracted by the narration...there was one sequence where I guess it was supposed to be like rehearsal in "Blue Shades". I don't remember all exact quotes, but something was said after an attack to the effect of that wasn't good, then after the next one "that's better," then someone missed the next attack and the guy next to me said, "That wasn't." That was funny.

They pretty muched ruined a great tune in "Blue shades" for me with the nonsensical talking. And, I think they need to pass out Prozac to the audience during the Napoleon Dynamite/I was never accepted in High School/Music is my life speech.

Not sure what to say about "Athletes of God"??!?!?!??

Otherwise, it is obvious that the corps is very talented and performing the show well, the hornline is really loud and good. In my opinion, the show would be good without the narration...

Edited by SPIRIT87BeatCadets

I haven't seen the Cadets show, I'd rather not see it to be honest with you. But based on qwhat I've read here, it sounds like Hoppy wrote a nice essay about being in corps and said, let's play some music around it and call it our show.

I know this is a "review" and it is just one's person opinion - but when you start saying things like "talking is 50% of the show" - well that's just silly talk, and frankly - a lie.

Please - if your goal is just to criticize something at least do it honestly.

Thanks.

I know this is a "review" and it is just one's person opinion - but when you start saying things like "talking is 50% of the show" - well that's just silly talk, and frankly - a lie.

Please - if your goal is just to criticize something at least do it honestly.

Thanks.

Im honestly surprised someone hasnt put a stopwatch on it yet :P

Either way, the narration and playing are not mutually exclusive, so it doesnt matter so much.

Goodness. Yet another "review" in order to bash Cadets.

They pretty muched ruined a great tune in "Blue shades" for me with the nonsensical talking.

AGREED. This has to be the worst arrangement of Blue Shades I've ever heard, and I'm a HUGE Jay Bocook fan. It's too over the top and gimmicky. The chart stands up so perfectly by itself.

And, I think they need to pass out Prozac to the audience during the Napoleon Dynamite/I was never accepted in High School/Music is my life speech.

Simply the worst narration in the show, and not well delivered IMO either.

Not sure what to say about "Athletes of God"??!?!?!??

It should be: ....an athlete, a god. Still....are any of us really considered GODS???

Otherwise, it is obvious that the corps is very talented and performing the show well, the hornline is really loud and good. In my opinion, the show would be good without the narration...

Since I was in the show with the CorpsVets, I only got to see Cadets and Spirit. I'm really tired after rehearsal I'm going to be brief.

Cadets - fairly loud, better brass sound than last year, but still not enough bottom presence for my taste. There's an AWFUL lot of GREAT playing going on that is being covered up by a lot of REALLY cheesy narration.

My opinion (and feel free to disagree): If the narration is INTEGRAL to the show, then leave it. If you can play the music and it stand on its own, then it deserves to be cut. This would be a TERRIFIC drum corps show with a different title and no narrartion. I think they'll place very high, but won't win. I don't think there's quite enough there to do it with.

Spirit has a great, well designed show this year. Two problems: right now, it's over the kids' heads, and it's obvious they don't have the endurance to play it, even standing still. Granted, New Century Dawn is a TOUGH tune to play in wind ensemble, much less running around the field. I have to think that since the closer is by a country mile the weakest part of the show that they must not have gotten it too long ago. For not having a lot of high exposed trumpet/alto lines, they sure do get tired and thin about 2/3 of the way through the show.

All in all though, through some pretty brutal heat, it was a good show. Thanks to the Spirit Alumni Association for inviting us to participate, we certainly enjoyed your hospitality!

Edited by usmpiano