Replacing Our Losses in Corps Numbers

IMO DCI is perfectly on track...their track, of course.

Allowing electronics led to vocalists, and will likely lead to electronic wind instruments (EWI) being allowed.

Increasing to 150 will return the DCI brass sound to its historic "Loud as ####" awesomeness...And increasing numbers past that will allow for the entrance of w.w into the activity

If DCI allows w.w. then you have instant "feeder" groups, which is ALL of the BOA, USSBA, College etc. bands in the country. "Officially" allowing woodwinds into the activity would be like a re-birth, because DCI would be practically doubling its market base. By adding woodwinds, DCI can continue on its current path, which is downsizing the quantity of drum corps in an effort to become the foremost marching music organization in the world

If you have the support of of these major US marching band organizations, attendance will increase and voila DCI is re-born as MBI (Marching Band International)

This seems to be the way things are headed. Maybe not :doh:

I like to stir the pot.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If corps are relying on member tuition to pay half of anything then that's why corps are in financial trouble. To not only field the corps but actually be highly competitive the budget had darn well exceed more than a half million. Member tuition is from only $1,000 to $2,000 x 135. Double that number and you still will have a hard time covering expenses.

- Eliminate all the silly rules and policies that deny voting rights to some division I corps. Any corps that passes the rigorous financial and organizational evaluation criteria of DCI division I should have an equal voice in the boardroom.

I would further expand that... if you can make it to finals in say 3 consecutive years regardless of division then you should get a vote. Why shouldn't Spartans, Revolution, Impulse, etc. have a vote?

But sharing power is usually not a priority of those who have the power. :doh:

IMO DCI is perfectly on track...their track, of course.

Allowing electronics led to vocalists, and will likely lead to electronic wind instruments (EWI) being allowed.

Increasing to 150 will return the DCI brass sound to its historic "Loud as ####" awesomeness...And increasing numbers past that will allow for the entrance of w.w into the activity

If DCI allows w.w. then you have instant "feeder" groups, which is ALL of the BOA, USSBA, College etc. bands in the country. "Officially" allowing woodwinds into the activity would be like a re-birth, because DCI would be practically doubling its market base. By adding woodwinds, DCI can continue on its current path, which is downsizing the quantity of drum corps in an effort to become the foremost marching music organization in the world

If you have the support of of these major US marching band organizations, attendance will increase and voila DCI is re-born as MBI (Marching Band International)

This seems to be the way things are headed. Maybe not :doh:

I like to stir the pot.

Why does this post scare me so much? Becuase I'm afraid musicpal24 has pretty accurately predicted the future? I won't bother reposting the links of the "Visions" two directors had for drum corps future but this one matches one of the rather closely.

Yes, the activity is dying. No, you won't get many valid answers here (the 'forest-trees' syndrome) as to why, though it's there for the reading.

What needs to be done is what will never be done: reach out and ask all those who have left the activity. There's where you'd get unbiased sarcasm-free answers. Here, it's like asking Rocky Rococo why he likes pizza.

As I said..."little". Attending a show or two when one happened to be in the area and needed a filler corps is hardly "involvement", but go ahead and pretend that over half of the corps in the country were all wrapped up in DCI in the early years.

And you can pretend that the U.S. Open (the first major contest to become DCI-sanctioned, in 1972) was just "filler" to the 60-80 corps on it's lineup in a given year. And that's just one example....but I digress.

It was a simple request, Mike. Stay on topic. I even said "please". This thread asked for ideas, possible solutions. I gave some. Do you have any, or are you here solely to poke holes in ours?

Here's an idea... cultivate suburbs. They have the art money. Big cities aren't the way to go -- find places like Tempe, AZ, not Phoenix. Of course, it's the Phoenix area, but high-end suburbs are the place to find the subsidies to get things going.

Here's an idea... cultivate suburbs. They have the art money. Big cities aren't the way to go -- find places like Tempe, AZ, not Phoenix. Of course, it's the Phoenix area, but high-end suburbs are the place to find the subsidies to get things going.

You're absolutely right. Sure, you can nominally base a corps in Boston or Seattle, but the talent base is probably coming from the nice suburbs wih good music programs in their schools. The Cavaliers are from Rosemont, which is just a bunch of airport hotels and convention centers. Also, the mayor is a creep.