Not a senior, but many went on to senior corps.

great stuff!

Thanks, we worked hard at that stuff, even though it seems so archaic now.

Some of that corps that went on to Bucs were, myself, Joe Weglarz, Lois Hunt, Eddie Young, Sue Young, Mary Bonaquisti, and just a couple of more whose names I can't come up with at this moment. (sucks getting old, but I've always had trouble with names)... Out of all the names I did mention, we won two DCA titles, also.

I've been getting some real nice PMs about the 1970 Brookhaven shows. Only sort of bad comment was actually on the site someone said they were glad corps didn't do that kind of show anymore.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey.........I forgot about Eddie Young.........he went to Archie in '79/'80.....now with Reilly

Thanks, we worked hard at that stuff, even though it seems so archaic now.

Some of that corps that went on to Bucs were, myself, Joe Weglarz, Lois Hunt, Eddie Young, Sue Young, Mary Bonaquisti, and just a couple of more whose names I can't come up with at this moment. (sucks getting old, but I've always had trouble with names)... Out of all the names I did mention, we won two DCA titles, also.

I've been getting some real nice PMs about the 1970 Brookhaven shows. Only sort of bad comment was actually on the site someone said they were glad corps didn't do that kind of show anymore.

Hey.........I forgot about Eddie Young.........he went to Archie in '79/'80.....now with Reilly

The stories I could tell about Eddie in his Brookhaven years...would make a sailor blush... or maybe throw up. :P

Some other guys you might know that did not go to Bucs but stayed in the area with Archie; Dave Farren, Dave Shank, Pete Ross, Steve Epright(not sure he went to Archie). There was one of our adult supporters that did a little of everything around the corps, Jack Riley.

I know I'm missing more. And, of course, Bob Carney.

However, I just remembered who the guard captain was in 1970 Brookhaven. It was Jackie Ellis.(what a beauty she was!)

Edited by Martybucs

Holy smokes......all of them except Steve Epright, including Jackie. And Hall of Famer Jack Reilly was a Musketeer in the waaaaaay back time. I was fortunate to have marched with him in '62 and he was a mainstay of the alumni corps and chorus until his death.

Oh, and Eddie hasn't changed..........sailors still blush............

The stories I could tell about Eddie in his Brookhaven years...would make a sailor blush... or maybe throw up. :P

Some other guys you might know that did not go to Bucs but stayed in the area with Archie; Dave Farren, Dave Shank, Pete Ross, Steve Epright(not sure he went to Archie). There was one of our adult supporters that did a little of everything around the corps, Jack Riley.

I know I'm missing more. And, of course, Bob Carney.

However, I just remembered who the guard captain was in 1970 Brookhaven. It was Jackie Ellis.(what a beauty she was!)

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a quote from Cozy's Corpsdom Feb, 2007

Show must've been close to October. I remember it being Sunday afternoon show and BR beat us by 6 points, but we beat their hornline in that show.

The Baltimore show in 1970 was held on September 7th and I believe it was at Dundalk HS. I was a snare drummer in the White Knights. Seem to remember we took second in percussion and this became a "point of discussion" for some of Rock's section since they only topped us by a point or so and some of our ex members left to march with them. We all had a good time on the parking lot kidding about traveling an hour and a half to get a point better.

I have the CD of the E.S. Show from 70 also. Did you notice the sidelines as Bracken performed? I had forgotten the near riot that broke out amongst the various staff's when they noticed half of Sac marching with them and Pugy(sp) blowing the solos!!! You may also recall the looooonnnnngggggg delay in announcing the scores and the "speculation" they were making sure Braken didn't win and a all out free for all ensue. What a tangled web we weave...

You listed the corps reps available for CD on P.O.C.M. You may now add Hamilton to your list. I discovered a Stetson cassette some months ago that hadn't been played in over 25 years. I sent it to them and they recoverd the corps and sent me a free CD for giving them a corp they didn't have. I wish someone would come upon a 71 recording of Hamilton and do the same.

I close with my vote for a return to the roots and military shows designed with execution AND entertainment in mind. A respect for the flag and honoring it with a color pre would be refreashing also....but then I guess I'm shoing my age. :worthy:

The Baltimore show in 1970 was held on September 7th and I believe it was at Dundalk HS. I was a snare drummer in the White Knights. Seem to remember we took second in percussion and this became a "point of discussion" for some of Rock's section since they only topped us by a point or so and some of our ex members left to march with them. We all had a good time on the parking lot kidding about traveling an hour and a half to get a point better.

I have the CD of the E.S. Show from 70 also. Did you notice the sidelines as Bracken performed? I had forgotten the near riot that broke out amongst the various staff's when they noticed half of Sac marching with them and Pugy(sp) blowing the solos!!! You may also recall the looooonnnnngggggg delay in announcing the scores and the "speculation" they were making sure Braken didn't win and a all out free for all ensue. What a tangled web we weave...

You listed the corps reps available for CD on P.O.C.M. You may now add Hamilton to your list. I discovered a Stetson cassette some months ago that hadn't been played in over 25 years. I sent it to them and they recoverd the corps and sent me a free CD for giving them a corp they didn't have. I wish someone would come upon a 71 recording of Hamilton and do the same.

I close with my vote for a return to the roots and military shows designed with execution AND entertainment in mind. A respect for the flag and honoring it with a color pre would be refreashing also....but then I guess I'm shoing my age. :worthy:

I had forgot about the thing with the Blessed Sac guys playing with Bracken and Pusey did flub the solos, (very uncharacteristic of him, BTW). Bracken, indeed were the, "Bad Boys" of Eastern States Circuit. I remember Hamilton White Knights very well - another great corps of the era.

To be fair to BR, that wasn't one of their better performances of the year. I remember being surprised that they didn't seem better because earlier in the season they were really good. I think there may have been a show the next week where BR again kicked butt.

I agree with wishing the military drill, color pre, and execution aspects of the show would return. It made the activity unique and special. That's gone.

However, whenever you or I make that desire for the "old ways" known it stirs up all sorts of rancor and it gets interpreted as bashing the corps of today and then everyone gets mad and insulted on both sides.

I had started another thread awhile ago wishing there was some way to have a circuit of corps performing the military style drill and presentation. Lots of people agreed. But more said, "that's what alumni corps are for!", totally missing the point.

I will always believe that had drum corps stayed with VFW/AL rules that the activity would still have hundreds of corps from coast to coast providing much needed summer activity for local kids to participate in.

Certainly, the number and size of the corps would have fluctuated with population growth and migration, but I feel the overall activity would have stayed in tack, would have been healthy, providing fun experiences for thousands of todays' youth - in the summer - outside of the school band - in a unique activity.

Finally, contrary to a lot of traditionalists, I feel what they do today is a legitimate outgrowth of the original drum corps activity and as such, deserves to be considered drum corps. I just feel that the creation of DCI caused the whole structure of circuits and local corps and competitions to fall apart.

MikeD and many others hold the opposite position and feel that today's bands and DCI corps provide a superior product and educational experience. Thus, taking the place of the traditional, unique, military style drum and bugle corps that put respect and pride in honoring our country's traditions and values above "product" and the entertainment of the masses.

Edited by Martybucs

• 3 weeks later...

For those that have asked or wondered.

Ms. Haas, of www.drumcorpsvideos.com, has graciously granted permission for the movie, to which she owns the copyright, to be posted on the YouTube site.

Many Thanks for watching. Probably more than were at the original show!!!

Edited by Martybucs

• 14 years later...
On 6/27/2007 at 12:53 PM, Supersop08 said:

This is my 1st year of Drum Corps and I'm Marching DCA with Lakeshoremen and I love it! This will Help me prepare my self of Auditioning for DCI Div. 1 Corps . Now I keep on finding my self want more and more practice instead of weekends its kinda like a drug once you start you cant stop! It has also been my dream ever since roughly around 6th grade watching on ESPN to march with those Corps.....who know as a result of Lakeshoremen I could be there if I continue to work hard , Soak up the Knowledge I'm given B)