Hear the Love... Feel the Hate

Hi :) I am a total drum corps newbie -- I went to my first show last summer and loved it! I am really looking forward to going to some shows this summer. I'm kind of intimidated to comment or express an opinion. Why do people have to be so wrathful towards people they don't agree with?

:sshh:

sneakypete

somewhere on the internet....

Unfortunately Pete, I think this is par for the course as far as the internet is concerned. Believe it or not, it's better here than a lot of sites I've been to. Here's some hints for posting:

1) Be Rational and Logical.

2) Be Respectful especially when correcting someone

3) Don't speak in absolutes. (It's OK to have an opinion. Just keep in mind that that's what it is and it's OK for others to disagree.)

4) Don't post anything you wouldn't feel comfortable saying to someone in person

5) Admit when you're wrong

6) Don't let others drag you down to their level

7) Be aware of your own biases 6b) Be aware that others have biases too.

8) Understand that there's some things that are difficult to understand unless you've marched DC (kind of a "you had to be there" thing. You'll know where I'm coming from if/when you march. Try explaining DC to someone who's never seen it before and you'll begin to understand what I mean...especially if they've never been involved in band.)

9) Don't be a hypocrite. Hypocrisy will get you Pwned every time ;).

10) Be patient with those who don't follow these rules :)

Follow these guidelines and you won't catch too much grief. I have to admit, I don't follow all of these rules all the time, but I try to keep these in the back of my head when I'm on this site.

Welcome aboard! I hope you'll feel free to participate.

Unfortunately Pete, I think this is par for the course as far as the internet is concerned. Believe it or not, it's better here than a lot of sites I've been to. Here's some hints for posting:

1) Be Rational and Logical.

2) Be Respectful especially when correcting someone

3) Don't speak in absolutes. (It's OK to have an opinion. Just keep in mind that that's what it is and it's OK for others to disagree.)

4) Don't post anything you wouldn't feel comfortable saying to someone in person

5) Admit when you're wrong

6) Don't let others drag you down to their level

7) Be aware of your own biases 6b) Be aware that others have biases too.

8) Understand that there's some things that are difficult to understand unless you've marched DC (kind of a "you had to be there" thing. You'll know where I'm coming from if/when you march. Try explaining DC to someone who's never seen it before and you'll begin to understand what I mean...especially if they've never been involved in band.)

9) Don't be a hypocrite. Hypocrisy will get you Pwned every time ;).

10) Be patient with those who don't follow these rules :)

Follow these guidelines and you won't catch too much grief. I have to admit, I don't follow all of these rules all the time, but I try to keep these in the back of my head when I'm on this site.

Welcome aboard! I hope you'll feel free to participate.

Yeah, like this dude who calls himself Medea (whatever) ever follows those rules.......

GEESH!

:P

Yeah, like this dude who calls himself Medea (whatever) ever follows those rules.......

GEESH!

:P

Oh no you piece of $5!% ...lol...just wait till I get my hands on you woobster.

Unfortunately, seems to come with every internet conversation. However, keep in mind that sometimes what mind sound *wrathful* is actually someone trying to be humorous, or they just don't realize it. Or sometimes they do mean it. Just blow it off and as long as you've been respectful, they can go *%$ themselves! :P

On the other hand, I've been a band/drum corps mom for 4 years now, and the people I have met in person at shows and practices and fundraisers, etc., could not have been nicer or more respectful toward other corps members, families, and supporters. I love going to shows and meeting all the other drum corps fanatics and exchanging compliments to each other's corps. I've waited under awnings with Jersey Surf parents trying to wait out the rain at finals in Florida, kept bumping into Pacific Crest parents at the SoCal shows, and so many others that left me feeling all warm and toasty!

• 2 weeks later...