Thousands of marching members will lose over and over

Maybe placements should be illiminated except on the weekends or the last week of the season to minimize the causualties.

Mom

Are you kidding? Please tell me you're kidding, I am sure you're kidding. Look I'm only 30, but I will tell you that I have learned more from my failures in life than the accomplishments. I wanted to be an NBA basketball player and I shot free throws until I'd make 25 in a row every night. I dedicated myself to give the most effort on the team and while it ussually got me good amounts of playing time, it didn't get me to play at the professional level. No matter how much work I put into my goal it did not come to pass to play B-Ball even in college. I am a 5'9 dude I still love to play the game and I will always wonder what if, but I wouldn't have wanted to limit others (like you would do by not scoring everyone at every event) based on their abilities and their execution!! That's the same as you suggest. Let's water down the activity and make it mean less for everyone to help a few feel better. If someone bases their experience on whether they receive a certain score or not, then those young people have not been taught what competition is all about. No one is a loser, because losing implies that nothing is learned. Scores are just that, scores, and should not be what determines the livlihoods of these young people!!

Wes Perkins

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it....Drum Corps Doesn't = Kiddie Soccer! These corps are made up of 16-21/22 year olds! IF they still need to be sheltered from the evils of not 'winning', then don't march. In fact, don't leave the house ..... just read for a hobby and work at a grocery store.

And if you had that happen to you say around 30 times one Summer you might not come back. Maybe? I've never talked to anyone in that position who could admit to having a great time especially if the other team was really cocky about it.

Mom

I've played on the receiving end of that scenario. They still posted the score. 22-0. It's what happens when they move the Varsity pitcher down to JV for a game...

While it is a sad thought that most members will lose. The competition is what makes people want to work their hardest. Plus Drum Corps wouldn't be fun if everyone was a winner there would be no sense of accomplishment at the end. :)

And if you had that happen to you say around 30 times one Summer you might not come back. Maybe? I've never talked to anyone in that position who could admit to having a great time especially if the other team was really cocky about it.

Mom

Oh, we got creamed just about every game. We won all of one game that season.

DCI is competitive.

If you don't like losing

Don't march.

"Play To Win" - Blue Devils staff member (As seen on a YouTube video)

DCI is competitive.

If you don't like losing

Don't march.

"Play To Win" - Blue Devils staff member (As seen on a YouTube video)

That seems a little harsh... we are all friends here :)

what needs to be changed is attitude toward or importance of numbers

nah, come to think of it, everybody already knows some get less than they deserve and some get more

the challenge is to go out and do the best performance you can regardless of the outcome

but there needs to be an outcome, right or wrong

Mom

No but YOU LEARN!! YOU WIN BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT THAT WAY!! I have had a great time on some teams that sucked and I can laugh about it now. Maybe I didn't win, but I sure as hell didn't lose because I learned about life!! The most important thing that you have forgotten is that this activity teaches us self discipline, structure, team work and competition which helps you in LIFE, the BIGEEST GAME of ALL!!!

W P

Wait a minute there. Drum Corps is not a professional sport. It's just a hobby that includes extreme psychological presure to inforce repetative motion to the body and muscle memory among other thangs.

Mom

Are you kidding? Please tell me you're kidding, I am sure you're kidding. Look I'm only 30, but I will tell you that I have learned more from my failures in life than the accomplishments. I wanted to be an NBA basketball player and I shot free throws until I'd make 25 in a row every night. I dedicated myself to give the most effort on the team and while it ussually got me good amounts of playing time, it didn't get me to play at the professional level. No matter how much work I put into my goal it did not come to pass to play B-Ball even in college. I am a 5'9 dude I still love to play the game and I will always wonder what if, but I wouldn't have wanted to limit others (like you would do by not scoring everyone at every event) based on their abilities and their execution!! That's the same as you suggest. Let's water down the activity and make it mean less for everyone to help a few feel better. If someone bases their experience on whether they receive a certain score or not, then those young people have not been taught what competition is all about. No one is a loser, because losing implies that nothing is learned. Scores are just that, scores, and should not be what determines the livlihoods of these young people!!

Wes Perkins