Thousands of marching members will lose over and over

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that you have to have a number assigned to your corps to validate your selfworth. Every individual has a unique experience each performce and most of the time it will have nothing to do with a score. I think achievement should be self realized through total engagement of the experience every day of the year not just 40 shows on tour. I can't remember the last time I ever waited to hear the scores at show.

Mom

No.....just....no.

Why is it that you have to have a number assigned to your corps to validate your selfworth. Every individual has a unique experience each performce and most of the time it will have nothing to do with a score. I think achievement should be self realized through total engagement of the experience every day of the year not just 40 shows on tour. I can't remember the last time I ever waited to hear the scores at show.

Mom

You make a valid argument you make. I don't really look at it as it validating a person's selfworth. They are all a team working together for a common goal. So I think the score just shows you how well you are progressing and how well your show is received. Just giving a positive spin on the subject I guess.

I don't mind a critique if it is given by a panel of respected judges privately after a performance, but announcing a score seams counter productive to what the fans are trying too get our of a show. That being entertained by the talent on the field. Plus I think the fans should have the ultimate say what the outcome is. I think the best thing DCI has ever done is produce the Tour of Champions. I think it achieved the very thing that scores could never produce.

Mom

You make a valid argument you make. I don't really look at it as it validating a person's selfworth. They are all a team working together for a common goal. So I think the score just shows you how well you are progressing and how well your show is received. Just giving a positive spin on the subject I guess.

How exactly do members "loose" over and over?

Edited by dciguy01

I don't mind a critique if it is given by a panel of respected judges privately after a performance, but announcing a score seams counter productive to what the fans are trying too get our of a show. That being entertained by the talent on the field. Plus I think the fans should have the ultimate say what the outcome is. I think the best thing DCI has ever done is produce the Tour of Champions. I think it achieved the very thing that scores could never produce.

Mom

I'm sorry "mom" but I REALLY disagree with that statement. I am sure you have seen the biases on this forum in regards to other corps. If a lot of the fans have the same mindset as some of the forum members here then corps like, let's say, The Cadets, or perhaps, Blue Devils (2005) would get the short end of the stick.

The winner would simply be the corps with the most fans present.

Not exactly fair.

Maybe placements should be illiminated except on the weekends or the last week of the season to minimize the causualties.

Mom

You are right, this may not be good for some kids soooo,

There is the Special Olympics set up for the same children you are talking about. The ones who can not take on the emotional levels required of Drum Corps.

It's a great program with no judging, they are all winners. No one will loose. No Causualties.

Edited by Cop

I guarentee you that it's not ALWAYS about the scores. I think the kids of corps not in the top 12 have the right idea. They do it because they love it.

Would I eliminate scores? No. Does it make some corps staff power crazy? Yes. But it is the system we have. It's like all things in life, you don't win all the time. Not everyone gets a gold star in everything they do. If you eliminate the score system, then you eliminate rewarding those that acheive true greatness.

/end soapbox

>>>

Absolutely!! I do believe that it is an obvious assumption that most corps and corps members want to make finals...and move placements up year to year. But I also know there are those out there who do this not for the ring, but because they love it. My daughter is marching her first year with a group that may or may not make finals (depending upon whose posts you read), but anytime I've talked to her while she has been on tour, she has been nothing but positive and has been talking over and over about the things she has learned, and the other kids she has met...not once has SHE said anything about scores. Of course, this isn't a top 5 or 6 group either. Scores are great to have. Being a parent at home, I've been relying on the postings each night to feel like I'm keeping up. But there are defintlely LOTS of kids out there who are doing this because they love it.

If you are truly worried about placements when you are marching drum corps, you're really missing the point. They are an interesting thing that goes along with a great summer experience. It should never be what it is all about. If your enjoyment of the summer is based on scores and placements, you are missing out.

Edited by Tekneek