Evansville mini-review

Here's my review! I just wanted to get a few words up tonight. This is a mini-review, because I will be in Normal tomorrow night, and I'll hopefully be able to say more. I didn't even get a program, so I don't remember the repetoire. These are just my impressions.

Revolution:

I was actually rather impressed - they got off to a strong start. I liked their opener quite a lot, and I liked their horn book. I'm going to go right ahead and say that I thought almost everyone's arrangements tonight were great. They had obvious problems getting through the end, and I think it was both stamina and a lack of comfort with the drill. I'm willing to bet they have not had this part of the show for very long, because it was noticeably more ragged than the rest of the show. I hate being one of those people that writes short reviews for smaller corps, but I can't remember much else. I tend to space out in the middle of shows.

Memphis Sound:

HOLY ####! Hello, volume. Sound is right! They put out a lot of volume for such a small corps. They have improved so much over these last few years. Am I crazy, or was their debut season just a few years ago? I remember them coming to this show a few years ago, and thinking that they had a long way to go. This sound they were putting out wasn't perfect, but it is an improvement. Their marching has also improved. Memphis means buisness this year. I enjoyed their entire program this year.

Troopers:

A good friend of mine is teching the Troopers right now, so I'm biased.... but I thought their show was fantastic. Very grown-up - they're not playing cheesy western music. This book kind of makes you want to tip your hat and ride off into the sunset. I loved that they have the classic sunburst move at the end. It's actually a little dirty, but it's still June. They look the same, but this is a very different corps. They also had some roughness towards the end, and I assume it's because that is still the newest. I have a criticism, though.... I don't know how I feel about those uniforms from behind. They all look a little.... naked. Its just a very tight dark blue uniform, and a neckerchief. If you'll see them, you'll see what I mean.

Blue Stars:

Whoever doesn't like these new uniforms - I officially disagree with you. I love them. They make the corps look huge, the add a lot of room for cool visual effects, and they are totally unique. I will say that they do cause a problem for any larger corps members. The front looks distorted on anyone with much of a belly, and it makes it all look less than uniform. There is always a point in the evening when you say "now that's a drum corps." This was it for me. Their drill was the most effective to me, but it could have just been because the uniforms are so interesting to look at.

Spirit:

I don't hate these uniforms as much on the field. I admit, they have been doing poorly (for Spirit), and I didn't know what to expect. I believe they're around 145-15th right now..... speaking as someone from a 14th and 15th place corps, I hope we looked that good. They put out a nice sound. It was a little crass when they got loud. I never even noticed that their ballad was Hide and Seek, which is one of my favorite songs. I have yet to hear an arrangement of that song that does the original justice. I don't think it's possible to duplicate the sound of a vocoder.

BD:

OK. I'll say it - I didn't get this show. They sound fantastic. It's an honor to hear a BD hornline..... they honestly just flatten you to the wall, and with good tone, no less. Their marching is pretty good for June, and the drill is good to watch, but the show itself does not communicate anything to me. I didn't get anything about victory in there. I think there's supposed to be some kind of journey from darkness to light, but I just don't get it. Also, I can't really tell what they're doing.... is it jazz? Dark classical? It's very oddly arranged. It's very modern. I'm not saying I dislike the horn book just for that... I'm just saying that if you're going to be kind of weird, you still should have to communicate. If the guard hadn't have had wings, I wouldn't even know what it was about at all. The guard doesn't have uniforms yet, so maybe that will help. This drum corps is great, but this show just isn't. Yet. Hopefully they have more to add.

As an Art History major, I have to say, the Matisse flags tickled me pink. I want one!

I know this was kind of a crappy, uninformative review. I'll write a longer one for Normal, I promise.

Here's my review! I just wanted to get a few words up tonight. This is a mini-review, because I will be in Normal tomorrow night, and I'll hopefully be able to say more. I didn't even get a program, so I don't remember the repetoire. These are just my impressions.

Revolution:

I was actually rather impressed - they got off to a strong start. I liked their opener quite a lot, and I liked their horn book. I'm going to go right ahead and say that I thought almost everyone's arrangements tonight were great. They had obvious problems getting through the end, and I think it was both stamina and a lack of comfort with the drill. I'm willing to bet they have not had this part of the show for very long, because it was noticeably more ragged than the rest of the show. I hate being one of those people that writes short reviews for smaller corps, but I can't remember much else. I tend to space out in the middle of shows.

Memphis Sound:

HOLY ####! Hello, volume. Sound is right! They put out a lot of volume for such a small corps. They have improved so much over these last few years. Am I crazy, or was their debut season just a few years ago? I remember them coming to this show a few years ago, and thinking that they had a long way to go. This sound they were putting out wasn't perfect, but it is an improvement. Their marching has also improved. Memphis means buisness this year. I enjoyed their entire program this year.

Troopers:

A good friend of mine is teching the Troopers right now, so I'm biased.... but I thought their show was fantastic. Very grown-up - they're not playing cheesy western music. This book kind of makes you want to tip your hat and ride off into the sunset. I loved that they have the classic sunburst move at the end. It's actually a little dirty, but it's still June. They look the same, but this is a very different corps. They also had some roughness towards the end, and I assume it's because that is still the newest. I have a criticism, though.... I don't know how I feel about those uniforms from behind. They all look a little.... naked. Its just a very tight dark blue uniform, and a neckerchief. If you'll see them, you'll see what I mean.

Blue Stars:

Whoever doesn't like these new uniforms - I officially disagree with you. I love them. They make the corps look huge, the add a lot of room for cool visual effects, and they are totally unique. I will say that they do cause a problem for any larger corps members. The front looks distorted on anyone with much of a belly, and it makes it all look less than uniform. There is always a point in the evening when you say "now that's a drum corps." This was it for me. Their drill was the most effective to me, but it could have just been because the uniforms are so interesting to look at.

Spirit:

I don't hate these uniforms as much on the field. I admit, they have been doing poorly (for Spirit), and I didn't know what to expect. I believe they're around 145-15th right now..... speaking as someone from a 14th and 15th place corps, I hope we looked that good. They put out a nice sound. It was a little crass when they got loud. I never even noticed that their ballad was Hide and Seek, which is one of my favorite songs. I have yet to hear an arrangement of that song that does the original justice. I don't think it's possible to duplicate the sound of a vocoder.

BD:

OK. I'll say it - I didn't get this show. They sound fantastic. It's an honor to hear a BD hornline..... they honestly just flatten you to the wall, and with good tone, no less. Their marching is pretty good for June, and the drill is good to watch, but the show itself does not communicate anything to me. I didn't get anything about victory in there. I think there's supposed to be some kind of journey from darkness to light, but I just don't get it. Also, I can't really tell what they're doing.... is it jazz? Dark classical? It's very oddly arranged. It's very modern. I'm not saying I dislike the horn book just for that... I'm just saying that if you're going to be kind of weird, you still should have to communicate. If the guard hadn't have had wings, I wouldn't even know what it was about at all. The guard doesn't have uniforms yet, so maybe that will help. This drum corps is great, but this show just isn't. Yet. Hopefully they have more to add.

As an Art History major, I have to say, the Matisse flags tickled me pink. I want one!

I know this was kind of a crappy, uninformative review. I'll write a longer one for Normal, I promise.

Good review! Even though I have only listened to the BD APD I have to agree with you. Their arrangment of Pegasus is so out there that you really have to search for the melody. The rest of the show is very loud and full of dissodant brass hits and crazy mallet runs that is not very pleasing to the ear. I made myself listen to their show 3-4 times but cannot say I enjoyed it.

BD:

The guard doesn't have uniforms yet, so maybe that will help.

I was under the impression that those WERE their costumes this season. :worthy: They're just kind of dark purple fuzz on top and black on bottom.

I was under the impression that those WERE their costumes this season. :worthy: They're just kind of dark purple fuzz on top and black on bottom.

Those are the uniforms. They're so dark that from the stands it looks like they are all just wearing black dance wear.

Good review! Even though I have only listened to the BD APD I have to agree with you. Their arrangment of Pegasus is so out there that you really have to search for the melody. The rest of the show is very loud and full of dissodant brass hits and crazy mallet runs that is not very pleasing to the ear. I made myself listen to their show 3-4 times but cannot say I enjoyed it.

You can't hear Pegasus??? :worthy:

I would agree if you were talking about Bird and Bela in Bb.

Yikes. They looked like black tank tops and dance pants to me. There were even bra straps sticking out. I hope those aren't their uniforms.

The guard uniforms are dark blue, top to bottom, I believe a velvet material... looks like a black belt around the waist, with a silver buckle. They are definitely different than what they were wearing at the first show, which was the typical all black when their real uniforms aren't ready yet.

The guard uniforms are dark blue, top to bottom, I believe a velvet material... looks like a black belt around the waist, with a silver buckle. They are definitely different than what they were wearing at the first show, which was the typical all black when their real uniforms aren't ready yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if I see a uniform change in the guard during this performance later in the year. I notice velcro on the front of these. Hmmm...