Sunnyvale, CA - 6/30/07 Review

Last night both Dream and the Renegades had A-squads in front of the corps. As the colors passed in review, I could count count the number of people standing on my hands, with a few fingers left over. Some idiot in back of me actually yelled "down in front." Now, THAT, made me want to smack someone upside the head. :laugh: <**>

You're going to get that alot at DCI shows simply because they don't require their corps to have the colors, therefore DCI fans have, over the years, become ignorant to American flag protocol. (Actually, I should just say most people in general have become ignorant to american flag protocol, but at least at DCA shows people are aware of the American Flag party and don't look at it like some group of aliens that just landed from Mars.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

I agree with you. However, speaking as a person who teaches high school, I can tell you that unless you are in Boy or Girl Scouts or some sort of service organization with a socially responsible leader, there's a good chance that you may not ever be made aware of flag protocol. I don't think it's really addressed that much anymore. Sorry to say.

I think also the current administration's overwhelming un-popularity has engendered some confusing feelings, i.e. "If I behave in a 'patriotic' manner, I feel like I'm supporting the George W. machine. Not taking part in displays of conventional patriotism is my protest" It's unfortunate, but true. Can you see how some people might think that way?

Just a thought. Sorry to get this thread WAY off topic.

Great review by the way!

Except your kids, right...you're teaching them about American flag protocol, I hope.

As for your second paragraph. Unfortuantely, you are right. It's embarassing to me as an American that there are many of my fellow Americans that will disrespect their own flag (or the troops) simply because they don't like George Bush. What's rather pathetic about is is no one is notifying George Bush that some ignoramous at a Division II drum corps show remained seated as the colors past (so thier "protest" fell on deaf ears) and they just made themselves look like a fool.

To the original poster: I hope you will ALWAYS stand as the colors pass. There will always be ignorant people. There's not much we can do for them. Except, perhaps, pitty them.

Later: man was that witchy with a capital "B". (sorry...I'm crabby today) I'm going to hold out hope that most people who remain seated during the passing of the colors are only doing so because they simply do not know that they should stand........

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

You're going to get that alot at DCI shows simply because they don't require their corps to have the colors, therefore DCI fans have, over the years, become ignorant to American flag protocol. (Actually, I should just say most people in general have become ignorant to american flag protocol, but at least at DCA shows people are aware of the American Flag party and don't look at it like some group of aliens that just landed from Mars.)

... and it's not just the civilians. When the Marines came out for the National Anthem, the Marine carrying the A-flag was holding it at about a 75-degree angle, while the Marine carrying the Marine Corps flag had his at the proper perpendicular from the ground. I'd never expect to see a Marine dipping the American Flag. That was just sad.

But again, it was otherwise a good show and a great time.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Phasing problems within the corps, at least feet wise, might be due to the fact that the field at Fremont High School is just plain TERRIBLE! Pot holes and sprinkler heads and ruts for yard lines. I was VERY worried about twisting an ankle on Saturday!

PS- Love Mandarins. They are going to be on FIRE by finals week! VK- You guys are the little engine that could! I loved your energy! BDC- Sugar rush as normal! And RCR, no matter what, you know I love you. Congrats on the Modesto show! YOU BETTER GET IT! :P

Phasing problems within the corps, at least feet wise, might be due to the fact that the field at Fremont High School is just plain TERRIBLE! Pot holes and sprinkler heads and ruts for yard lines. I was VERY worried about twisting an ankle o

I rolled my ankle during our cowbell feature, but made a quick recovery :huh:, when you're really into the show, nothing stops you B)

Blue Devils B could possibly do what Vanguard Cadets did in 2000.

Actually they can't because Div II corps are not allowed to compete in division I at quarterfinals anymore

Thanks PhantomPhan... RCR is officially inactive for the remainder of the Season due to well..... No more rumors. Time to restructure. We kicked it up a notch in Modesto. I know we are more than one sop soloist... I play a few of those solos on bari... lol Who knows what would have happened had we had the 2 months to put our closer on the field. We were getting on that RCR momentum train. Music was gelling more, drill was starting to look good. Man a dissapointment sure, but ending a season on a high note was great.

After rehearsal yesterday, I felt really good about our show and we went out and left it all on the field! It was a pleasure to march on that field with all the members of RCR this season. Just sad that it had to end so soon! :(

I'm really sad for you RCR peeps. I hope that everything gets straightened out and you can come out next year even stronger!!

West is best!!

ps I LOVE the guard unis :)

Thanks PhantomPhan... RCR is officially inactive for the remainder of the Season due to well..... No more rumors. Time to restructure. We kicked it up a notch in Modesto. I know we are more than one sop soloist... I play a few of those solos on bari... lol Who knows what would have happened had we had the 2 months to put our closer on the field. We were getting on that RCR momentum train. Music was gelling more, drill was starting to look good. Man a dissapointment sure, but ending a season on a high note was great.

Seriously ... Hope you guys can use the time to the best fundraising and recruiting efforts possible and make it back on to the field next season. We need all the all-age corps we can get out here.

Sorry I didnt' get to see the Modesto show (too long a drive on a school night.)