A controversial thought...

Segregating the"historical" discussions of drum and bugle corps (and using an arbitrary number such as pre-1995) really does not help our activity, and contributes to the segregation of old vs new in our activity.

There are plenty of things that can be learned by having historical discussions on the main page. We are all in this together as fans and/or former members...there is no sense in segregating us.

I call for the abolishment of the Historical Discussion section, and the integration into the main forum.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way. I know which is which.

Given that in the course of a day on DCP, any number of older shows and corps are referenced in the main junior corps sub-forum anyway (which, let's face it, the junior corps forum sees the most action here)...I tend to agree.

We already pit new and old, G v. Bb... etc, diametrically against each other in discussions. Perhaps we shouldn't make another barrier between what came before and what is now.

Either way. I know which is which.

The problem is...many people don't bother to come on this side of things. Heck, I will readily admit that I only make infrequent trips, usually only when a thread I've been watching gets moved. It's silly to have us segregated. And why pre-1995? Why not pre-2000? pre-1990? pre-1980? What makes the 1994 Blue Devils show "historical?"

There comes a time! When people get tired....tired of being kicked about by the brutal feet of....er....um....drum corps oppression! ($1 to MLK)

Who are you and when did you march?

The problem is...many people don't bother to come on this side of things. Heck, I will readily admit that I only make infrequent trips, usually only when a thread I've been watching gets moved. It's silly to have us segregated. And why pre-1995? Why not pre-2000? pre-1990? pre-1980? What makes the 1994 Blue Devils show "historical?"

There comes a time! When people get tired....tired of being kicked about by the brutal feet of....er....um....drum corps oppression! ($1 to MLK)

The date slides back every year, I think. But your point is well-taken. I just don't know if I need kids who are marching now coming in to talk about OMG HOW KUL IZ CROWNS HORNZ THIS YR!!!1!! in the middle of a dicussion about the Long Island Kingsmen. As I say, either way. A cyber-ghetto is only a ghetto if you think of it as a ghetto.

Like wow, man.

I do not consider this area a ghetto at all - it is a nice place with a cool crowd. I hope more people DON'T discover it.

:) :P :) :P :) :P :)

Actually, the point about what year begins the historical period is mildly interesting. In cars, 10 years is a classic. seems like 10 years would be a good number here as well.

Oh - the 1994 Blue Devils were historical be cause they kicked major ###, never lost a show and featured a design that is still amazing to watch. But, 200X Cavaliers would be historical as well.

I suppose my point is that, if there are to be more than one forum on DCP, a historical one is ok. There may come a time where the number of threads would require decade-based organization, but I hope not. I like less forums (too many already).

OK, I'm rambling. But the fact that we have a thread with close to a million views in here means it is not too quiet.

I do not consider this area a ghetto at all - it is a nice place with a cool crowd. I hope more people DON'T discover it.

Is what I'm saying.

ETA (Don't know why this didn't occur to me before): That's kind of the way I feel about drum corps in general.

Edited by tommytimp

Let me tell you WHY it was set up this way (yes - there is actually a logical reason)...

We used to have it integrated - however - because of the number of new threads and post everyday in the regular "DCI Discussions" forum the historical topics which tend to get less traffic and tend to last a lot longer - got pushed to page ten in a matter of days.

Then no one could find the existing "Historical Discussion" on a given topic so they would start a new one.

So - we gave it is own forum - its a little secluded - I agree - but it makes the topics easier to find which was necessary.

ok / one more thing

the date "1995 and before" is not "arbitrary" at all

After a lot of dicussion amongst the DCP team back in 2003 we decided that the topics with historical tilt tended to be ten years prior and beyond. Therefore - this forum was originally dated "1993 and before"

In 2004 we changed it to 1994, in 2005 we changed it to 1995 and then I sold the site