A controversial thought...

Nurse....nurse.....nurse.....nurse...oh.

ANESTHETIC!

gumby.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 years old is a classic car? Who knew??

Many car folks won't even grant "classic" (or actually "special interest") status to early 70's cars (and then only if it's a serious muscle car or expensive low production import)....and some on this board probably think today's generic jellybean cars will be "classics" in 10 years...

Cars are a passable analogy to DC, but a heck of a lot more than a few years is involved in assessing something as "classic".

Pee Wee Herman and dance squads in DC will *never* be classics....

Segregating the"historical" discussions of drum and bugle corps (and using an arbitrary number such as pre-1995) really does not help our activity, and contributes to the segregation of old vs new in our activity.

There are plenty of things that can be learned by having historical discussions on the main page. We are all in this together as fans and/or former members...there is no sense in segregating us.

I call for the abolishment of the Historical Discussion section, and the integration into the main forum.

I totally agree and have called for the same "segregation" to end because it seems like anytime a decent topic is moved over to this forum, it dies. While I understand that some folks like the fact that this area allows them to segregate themselves from the younger crowd, I still believe there should be some way to compromise.

I think this section should stay around ,BUT I really would like to see the staff leave topics alone that start in the "regular" forum area as long as they are vital/ongoing discussions. If one of these topics starts to die out, I have no problem with them bringing it over here. This will allow the folks who want to restrict their discussion to "historical" topics while allowing others of us to discuss "historical" topics while trying to include the younger crowd who don't venture over here. Why they don't venture here is a whole other topic, but I imagine it is because they don't have much to contribute in regards to the "Blessed Sacraments" of the world. I also think they may be intimidated...this is just guesstimation on my part. Personally, I don't visit this area real regularly because the topics get responses maybe once a week on average (except for the "old corps photos" thread of course :) )

My big beef with the staff is that they continually kill lively topics when they move them here. How many times have we seen a topic go to several pages before the move and then all traffic dies once it's here? It's OK to have rules, but the strict adherence to them by the staff is counter-productive and doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Given that in the course of a day on DCP, any number of older shows and corps are referenced in the main junior corps sub-forum anyway (which, let's face it, the junior corps forum sees the most action here)...I tend to agree.

We already pit new and old, G v. Bb... etc, diametrically against each other in discussions. Perhaps we shouldn't make another barrier between what came before and what is now.

Right on...I agree 100%

Edited by Medeabrass

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree and have called for the same "segregation" to end because it seems like anytime a decent topic is moved over to this forum, it dies. While I understand that some folks like the fact that this area allows them to segregate themselves from the younger crowd, I still believe there should be some way to compromise.

I think this section should stay around ,BUT I really would like to see the staff leave topics alone that start in the "regular" forum area as long as they are vital/ongoing discussions. If one of these topics starts to die out, I have no problem with them bringing it over here. This will allow the folks who want to restrict their discussion to "historical" topics while allowing others of us to discuss "historical" topics while trying to include the younger crowd who don't venture over here.

I absolutely don't visit this forum to separate myself from a younger crowd. I understand the perspective of age and time difference. And I'm seasoned enough on the way of teh internets to know how to sift through message board BS. But I am a proponent of this forum because without this dedicated area there are 2 distinct problems.

One ... discussion of a historic nature gets lost in a mass of "Amps/Electronics", "Who's going to win best brass in 10 months", "who has better headgear, Cavies or Cadets" threads. If I don't hit the main DCI topic every 12 hours, there are 3 pages of new activity. Multiply that by a week. Keeping the historical discussion on the main board woulnd't do anything to increase the interest in the history, or lengthen the discussion. It actually causes the historical discussion to get lost entirely. Not just for the masses, but ... even more problematic, it gets lost for those that are interested in such things.

Two ... it reduces fleeting a redundant discussion on the topic. Before this area was created, every few months there would be a post on "Remember the Bridgemen?" or "Star 93" or "what was so great about Star?" or "Memories of 1988"" And after a while, people that really had something solid and helpful to contribute on that subject just gave up. I mean, who wants to try and regenerate the exact same thought every other month just because a topic was rendered "non-existant" by simply ending up on page 26?

Right on...I agree 100%

I can see some point to this, but still. It is fairly easy to see the difference between a topic of a historical nature vs. a reference to history as part of a discussion on current events.

I can see some point to this, but still. It is fairly easy to see the difference between a topic of a historical nature vs. a reference to history as part of a discussion on current events.

Here here....now who has the remote and the chips? :rolleyes:

I absolutely don't visit this forum to separate myself from a younger crowd. I understand the perspective of age and time difference. And I'm seasoned enough on the way of teh internets to know how to sift through message board BS. But I am a proponent of this forum because without this dedicated area there are 2 distinct problems.

One ... discussion of a historic nature gets lost in a mass of "Amps/Electronics", "Who's going to win best brass in 10 months", "who has better headgear, Cavies or Cadets" threads. If I don't hit the main DCI topic every 12 hours, there are 3 pages of new activity. Multiply that by a week. Keeping the historical discussion on the main board woulnd't do anything to increase the interest in the history, or lengthen the discussion. It actually causes the historical discussion to get lost entirely. Not just for the masses, but ... even more problematic, it gets lost for those that are interested in such things.

Two ... it reduces fleeting a redundant discussion on the topic. Before this area was created, every few months there would be a post on "Remember the Bridgemen?" or "Star 93" or "what was so great about Star?" or "Memories of 1988"" And after a while, people that really had something solid and helpful to contribute on that subject just gave up. I mean, who wants to try and regenerate the exact same thought every other month just because a topic was rendered "non-existant" by simply ending up on page 26?

I understand the need for this forum and I think I stated that. The segragation comment was made in reference to a condescending post someone else made and I wasn't lumping the entire proponents of this board into that camp.

My complaint isn't about this forum at all. My complaint is how the moderators utilize it. If a topic with some historic references is started in another forum, they promptly move it over here before it's had it's chance to run it's course. The reason this bothers me is because most people don't bother to follow it over here and sometimes the move kills a lively discussion. I just wish they would wait a little while before moving a topic over here. As long as it's a "hot topic" in the D1 discussion, I see no need to move it in light of the fact that this forum was created so you didn't have to wade through a whole bunch of pages of stuff to find the thread you liked. As long as the topic is close to the top, why move it?

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Quoting Tansea: "...Does anyone remember the Fresno Ferns? Think they would exist today...."

Answer #1 - YES.

Answer #2 - They do.

Check out the 40th Anniversary gear at the shop below!

RON HOUSLEY

When's the move in date? I'm so in!!! B)

I like the Historical Forums as it is.....it's the first place I visit when I come on here.

You are constantly seeing other folks who marched when you did so they understand your perspective a little better than some young kid fresh off the field.