share the wealth

I'm betting online sales of souvies has increased a little in the last few years to offset any lack of in-person sales. Personally, I always buy something from the corps whose show surprised me in a positive way the most. (i.e. I wasn't a Magic of Orlando fan until one year they just blew me away, so a Magic tshirt was my target purchase for the day.)

I tend to hit souvie stands that have something unique to offer - a particular favorite for me is Boston (love the coffee mugs, if they still have them). I get tired of all the generic t-shirts with a zillion sayings on them that nobody can read unless they are standing 6 inches away from you. (and staring at your chest... ahem)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One T-shirt at each show and plan on buy another one or later.

Also bought some smaller items, patches, pens, etc. Can't afford a T-shirt from every one but can do some smaller things and a dollar or so in the fuel funds.

Also made a care package.

I just picked up the 2007 Pre-Season Recording CD from Carolina Crown at the Westminster Show. Not only does it allow me to throw some support Crown's way, but I also have a great audio recording of the fabulously entertaining "Triple Crown" show!

The Academy has a $30.00 sweatshirt that is the thickest of all drum corps, I compared with others last year, its available on their website

Actually the last couple of shows have been soooo bitterly cold here in the Midwest, I'm surprised most souvies didn't sell out of their sweatshirts! I actually bought a Cap Sound sweatshirt for the ridiculously low price of $10 just to survive the evening in Oswego! When I asked Vanguard for one in Normal - they said they didn't bring any! (And were a mite sorry about that too!)

Usually I make the rounds, buy a button and plop in a few bills in the gas can. Every bit helps!

MAV

well, as big guy and general supporter of the drum corps activity regardless of corps, I tend to buy from whichever corps is willing ot shell out the initial $$ to get shirts made for people my size (3XL). That said said, I went tot eh Stockton show with the intent to replace one of my vanguard shirts that I got so dirty I couldn't get it clean again. I walked away with THREE new Vanguard shirts.

and yes, I know if they make a bunch of shirts in fat guy sizes and they don't sell, then they are out the money, so I'm happy to purchase if they make something in my size!

I'll tell you what I like, and it annoys me that some corps don't even seem to sell them anymore -- an ordinary t-shirt (in white, grey, or a single solid color) with just the corps name and logo or else a nice basic-looking "tour" shirt. Some of the shirts that some corps sell are so elaborate that they're just ridiculous. Maybe that's what sells, but personally I don't want photos of guys drumming, cute or inspirational sayings, or anything of that nature. I like the plain ol' "property of Spirit drum & bugle corps" with the delta logo that I picked up this summer. Nice and simple.

Not trying to start one of - "those" - discussions here, but I'm wondering...

A lot of people (myself included) said they would not hit the souvie booths since the amp thing started. Could that be a contributor to what the OP is reporting? I can't remember the last thing I bought or ordered. Maybe a T shirt in 2005-ish from SCV???

Again - not to discuss the merits - just the potential fallout.

I'll tell you what I like, and it annoys me that some corps don't even seem to sell them anymore -- an ordinary t-shirt (in white, grey, or a single solid color) with just the corps name and logo or else a nice basic-looking "tour" shirt.

Check it out:

http://store.dci.org/Carolina_Crown_Tee_P2647C38.cfm

http://store.dci.org/Cavaliers_Tee_P2656C37.cfm

...etc.

There's one for practically every corps if you search the DCI store.

They did these last year too, and I got five different ones in this "basic" style on clearance for 10 bucks apiece earlier this spring.

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by bawker

A lot of people (myself included) said they would not hit the souvie booths since the amp thing started. Could that be a contributor to what the OP is reporting?

If you won't buy a shirt because of amps that's just sad...especially when you won't buy from the corps that aren't even using them.

Perhaps it's just an excuse for some to be tightwads??

I've been throwing my money towards The Crossmen this year because they have made the move to my hometown. I know they need as much as they can. I bought a Metamorphosis shirt at their premiere and before the season started, I joined The Jazz Club (Wynton Marsalis Level).

In three weeks at The Alamodome, I'll try to donate and purchase as much as I can to everyone. It feels good to know the money is going to good use.