For those DCI shows that have DCA corps present

There's been some discusison in various threads about DCA corps at DCI shows and some fans' lack of experience with what US Flag Ettiquette is. This is not a thread to bash DCI corps for not having an American Flag party. Start another thread to do that. It was just simply suggested that perhaps some people dont' know the ettiquette, so I thought I'd post it here.

Like DCI of old, DCA requires that each corps has an American Flag Party.

One of the main actions of ettiquette is that IF the corps troops the stands (and I understand at many DCI shows this is not allowed), but IF they do, the requirement is that when the American flag passes by, you are to stand, remove your hat and put your hand on your heart. A the very least you should stand as the Flag passes. ...and at the very very very least, don't shout "Down in front" because someone else knows the ettiquette and shows the proper respect for the American flag.

Couple of tidbits to keep in mind: You are not suporting George Bush and his "war machine" by showing respect to the American Flag, and if your crazed hatred for a corps makes you taste bile in your mouth as they pass by, stand for the flag, sit for the corps.

I've posted the appropriate section of the American Flag code for your review.

Sec. 9. - Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

\\\\\

Rock on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lisa.

I think it's sad people don't know those things.

By the way what was the crap they played at the Westminster show pretneding to be the national anthem? :huh:

Someone had editied very poorly. The phrases jumped ahead and they deleted the repeat of the opeing section. <**>

Some of us DO sing along, whether asked to or not, and it was not easy when complete phrases of music are missing.

:ramd:

There's been some discusison in various threads about DCA corps at DCI shows and some fans' lack of experience with what US Flag Ettiquette is. This is not a thread to bash DCI corps for not having an American Flag party. Start another thread to do that. It was just simply suggested that perhaps some people dont' know the ettiquette, so I thought I'd post it here.

Like DCI of old, DCA requires that each corps has an American Flag Party.

One of the main actions of ettiquette is that IF the corps troops the stands (and I understand at many DCI shows this is not allowed), but IF they do, the requirement is that when the American flag passes by, you are to stand, remove your hat and put your hand on your heart. A the very least you should stand as the Flag passes. ...and at the very very very least, don't shout "Down in front" because someone else knows the ettiquette and shows the proper respect for the American flag.

Couple of tidbits to keep in mind: You are not suporting George Bush and his "war machine" by showing respect to the American Flag, and if your crazed hatred for a corps makes you taste bile in your mouth as they pass by, stand for the flag, sit for the corps.

I've posted the appropriate section of the American Flag code for your review.

Sec. 9. - Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

\\\\\

Rock on.

Thank you Lisa for sharing this info with us. You must've been a girl scout in a previous life. :-)

One thing I noticed in Saturday's show (in East Rutherford, NJ) was that the Crossmen had a color presentation with their corps flag and a flag from Texas and a guard, BUT NO AMERICAN FLAG. I think that this is a horrible show of patriotism and so unpatriotic.

Anyone from Crossmen seeing this, please adjust your flag usage because it's just plain WRONG.

Barbara Rogers

(Boy Scout, Cub Scout Den Mother, Girl Scout and former A-Section member)

Minor correction:

I'm fairly certain DCA does not require an honor guard (national flag party), it's just that many (most) corps choose to include one.

Thank you Lisa for sharing this info with us. You must've been a girl scout in a previous life. :-)

One thing I noticed in Saturday's show (in East Rutherford, NJ) was that the Crossmen had a color presentation with their corps flag and a flag from Texas and a guard, BUT NO AMERICAN FLAG. I think that this is a horrible show of patriotism and so unpatriotic.

Anyone from Crossmen seeing this, please adjust your flag usage because it's just plain WRONG.

Barbara Rogers

(Boy Scout, Cub Scout Den Mother, Girl Scout and former A-Section member)

This may not have been an 'official' color presentation. Remember that they just moved from PA to TX; and they were paying homage to their past. Besides, you could run into the very same thing you are doing to them if they DID have an American flag for a true CP and could not properly present it (due to drill demands). IMHO (and as a patriot) you jumped the gun on this. The X-men's presentation is not a color presentation per se; and to assume that much is unfair to the corps.

PS...If you look back in the late 70's and early 80's even the corps that did do CP's had to use 'unofficial' American flags to get around the CP protocol due to the drill demands and still-on-the-books penalties.

Minor correction:

I'm fairly certain DCA does not require an honor guard (national flag party), it's just that many (most) corps choose to include one.

DCA does not require corps to have an honor guard to compete in the circuits, nor its championships. There is a separate judging category for honor guards at championships. I do not know about the local regional shows, anybody? So, honor guard does not enter into your DCA Championship score, nor your placement. But, if you desire the honor and distinction of (American Legion?) Champion that dons the Orange flag, you must have an honor guard and carry (be sponsored by) an American Legion post.

To my best knowledge, I think that this is correct.

BT

What drives me crazy is the number of people, including corps members and staff, that continue to file into the stadium, walk around, talk, etc. through the national anthem. PLEASE, if you are within hearing distance of the Star Spangled Banner, STOP, remove your hat, and put your hand over your heart. If in uniform, the proper thing is to stand at attention and/or salute.

What drives me crazy is the number of people, including corps members and staff, that continue to file into the stadium, walk around, talk, etc. through the national anthem. PLEASE, if you are within hearing distance of the Star Spangled Banner, STOP, remove your hat, and put your hand over your heart. If in uniform, the proper thing is to stand at attention and/or salute.

Actually, putting your hand over your heart isn't a requirment ... It's something that was popularized by Ronald Reagan and kind of stuck.

Also, it is considered innapropriate to applaud after the National Anthem unless it is a live performance.

PS...If you look back in the late 70's and early 80's even the corps that did do CP's had to use 'unofficial' American flags to get around the CP protocol due to the drill demands and still-on-the-books penalties.

Don't know about DCI but DCA corps used real American Flags as part of the required Color Pre in the 70s. The rules/etiquette about not having corps members in front of the flag, etc had to be followed or the corps was penalized. We were penalized once or twice until drill staff found out what the problem was. Think we added a new guard member and her drill position was in front of the flags position.

s/ Guy who did HG for parts of two seasons.....

Actually, putting your hand over your heart isn't a requirment ... It's something that was popularized by Ronald Reagan and kind of stuck.

Also, it is considered innapropriate to applaud after the National Anthem unless it is a live performance.

Actually, my Dad taught me to do that when I was a little boy....and I was born in the fifties. So, it may have been popularized by RR, but people have been doing it for a long time.