The Fragile Thing We Call Drum Corps

Okay, while alot of people understand drum corps, alot don't. So maybe now we should have the "talk".... Most Corps are on the edge of being in exhistance or being a memory, it's alot like working class americans living paycheck to paycheck, so making the top 12 guarantees a higher than min. wage. So when you look at Corps who falls from the top twelve its imperative that the BOD have the foresite to make sure that their corps can survive 1, 2, or 3 years out of the "12". Colts are a great example of a organization built to survive outside the top 12.

Think back to how many Top Twelve Corps folded the first year after they fell out of the Top 12. I think if we look at Div II we'll see that the numbers they lost this past year might of been caused by the Div II corps spending and pushing like they were going for a Top 12 spot....its the small expenses that add up and turn into huge shortfalls during a Corps season....

So as life goes on the questions have to be answered. In the 70's Kilties went from powerhouse to almost a memory, I always wondered if it was more a cultural thing in that there wasn't enuff bodies to march 3 DCI competitive All Male Corps, as was the disappearance of all-girl corps. So now are we seeing the same thing in there aren't enuff "quality" bodies to maintain 2 top 12 all-male corps?

So as the season goes try looking at the Corps without Rose Colored Glasses and realized they all are just out to entertain us and the kids are performing their hearts out.....reward them with applause and if possible financial support or Volunteer to help them.

Nice post and very true, no matter what corps it may be there have been many.

Okay, while alot of people understand drum corps, alot don't. So maybe now we should have the "talk".... Most Corps are on the edge of being in exhistance or being a memory, it's alot like working class americans living paycheck to paycheck, so making the top 12 guarantees a higher than min. wage. So when you look at Corps who falls from the top twelve its imperative that the BOD have the foresite to make sure that their corps can survive 1, 2, or 3 years out of the "12". Colts are a great example of a organization built to survive outside the top 12.

Think back to how many Top Twelve Corps folded the first year after they fell out of the Top 12. I think if we look at Div II we'll see that the numbers they lost this past year might of been caused by the Div II corps spending and pushing like they were going for a Top 12 spot....its the small expenses that add up and turn into huge shortfalls during a Corps season....

So as life goes on the questions have to be answered. In the 70's Kilties went from powerhouse to almost a memory, I always wondered if it was more a cultural thing in that there wasn't enuff bodies to march 3 DCI competitive All Male Corps, as was the disappearance of all-girl corps. So now are we seeing the same thing in there aren't enuff "quality" bodies to maintain 2 top 12 all-male corps?

So as the season goes try looking at the Corps without Rose Colored Glasses and realized they all are just out to entertain us and the kids are performing their hearts out.....reward them with applause and if possible financial support or Volunteer to help them.

no. There are "enuff."

Neither of the 2 are experiencing numbers problems really. And I wouldn't say AT ALL that either one is experiencing "quality" bodies issues, either. Kind of a subtle diss there IMO...

Edited by GGarrett

no. There are "enuff."

Neither of the 2 are experiencing numbers problems really. And I wouldn't say AT ALL that either one is experiencing "quality" bodies issues, either. Kind of a subtle diss there IMO...

No diss intended, i've been around long enuff to remember Cavs not in the finals, and back then I wondered in the society we have that could the talent needed to be top 12 and compete for a championship, is it a small pool of available talent that wants to march all male or all female corps..... as far as Scouts go this year I think right now its a matter of them having a very young membership and the great years alot of of corps are having, I think nothing is set in stone on who finishes where as July is the month of change and growth in all corps....just have to see who has the biggest growth spurt

I hardly think that lack of quality members is the Scouts' major issue.