Bluecoats win Centerville!

I know ...or at least and 95% sure...Spirit and Crossmen have at one point or another beaten all the corps currently out there. I wonder if Troopers and Blue Stars have as well, like way back in the day. Hmmm...

Edited by rut-roh

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until yesterday, the Blue Devils were the only other corps that Bluecoats have not beaten...until now. An historical milestone for the corps!

They have much to add to their show, and their staff is being very patient as to when they are adding more. I'm impressed with their work ethic, and not letting anyone rattle their cage (or cells).

They are working their own game, and don't worry about others...they know how hard to work, and the work ethic of other corps - for whom they show respect. They have earned their placements this season, and will continue to work hard at improvement - just like everyone else. Very impressive run right now! I am in awe! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bluecoats beating Phantom goes back to 1988, but don't let that stop your train of thinking. They did it several times last year too!

I believe they meant THIS season - and I'm pretty sure that is accurate.

Sure, I thought the brass performance numbers were pretty good tonight. BD is loud, very loud, but mainly due to the fact that they stand and play so much. Cavies have balance issues, but great individual acocomplishments (i.e. soloists). Bluecoats were lush, thick, well balanced but still need one more dynamic level. There still have some cleaning to do, but conversely to BD its because they are moving so much. That's a quick hit.

DW

I was there last night, and just got caught up on this thread. Thought I'd comment on the brass question.

(Disclosure Statement: I ama HUGE fan of Bloooo dating back to -- perhaps in spite of -- the '92 Beatles show)

(Qualifications: I did actually teach music until recently, and have a degree in music education. I studied trombone)

Overall, I agree with a lot of what others have said about the nights performances. As well as memory serves, I'll try to add only new thoughts...

BD- absolutely deserved high brass, specifically because of their performance. It felt like late season form early in july. The trumpets and tubas were SUPER hot, and the whole line was hella-clean. I agree that there could be some more commanding, intense soft moments, though.

BC- Holy Cow! Go BLOOOO!!! This is the "biggest" I think they've sounded this early ever, but there's room to grow. The visual book is leaving some exposed moments (especially for the trumpets in the opener... mellos here and there) in a very difficult music book. These tubas are for REAL!!! I've been reading the posts from others, and looking forward to seeing/hearing them for myself. I can only confirm the spirit of claims like "best tubas ever!!!" even if actually picking a definitive best section ever is preposterous -- though certainly worthwhile and good old fashioned fun. So coats were not quite as loud or as clean as devs, but right behind (remember we're focusing on the perfomances elements here)

Cavies- Great lush balanced sound! Magnificent soloists and exposed moments (expecially in the lead trumpets -- holy $#!+). Cavies line had odd problems with phasing though. The fugue in the middle movement (Invention #1 in "insert correct key signature here") has the corps spread out over most of the field -- east/west and north/south), and they seem to be having a hard time locking in here. You could tell what was going on, but for 30-45 seconds it just never got to that precise signature cavies sound. That will come. There were a handful of similar moments -- sadly most of which did NOT seem to be pinched by the visual book -- but the fugue was the most glaring to me.

On a seperate note, the cavies played the encore and played (perhaps unveiled) the rest of the closer. Sounds nice. Still not quite at performance level as I imagine Mr. Fiedler sees it, but entertaining. In fact, I don't know if the show design has what it takes to win (brass book), but what a FUN show to hear! I know when I look back at this season on DVD this will be one of the shows I NEVER skip! As a Billy Joel fan I could nit pick with arrangers for months over how I'd have done it differently, but I REALLY enjoy this music!

Anyhow, there's my 2 cents and I guess a little bit of a tip thrown in.

Red Dog

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dear Skeptic,

How many of the judges were from Ohio or have any relation to the Bluecoats? Centerville is nowehere near Canton (4 hour drive), and is usually packed full of Cavalier fans. :)

Centerville to Canton is a 4 hour drive if you drive maybe 50 MPH. I use to drive from Cleveland to Cincinnati all the time and that is much farther and it only takes around 3:45. Canton is south of Cleveland by about 50 miles and Centerville is near Dayton and that is about 50 or so miles north of Cincinnati.

I am sure that stadium was packed with Blooooooooooo!

Centerville to Canton is a 4 hour drive if you drive maybe 50 MPH. I use to drive from Cleveland to Cincinnati all the time and that is much farther and it only takes around 3:45. Canton is south of Cleveland by about 50 miles and Centerville is near Dayton and that is about 50 or so miles north of Cincinnati.

I am sure that stadium was packed with Blooooooooooo!

You haven't dealt with construction on route 30 leaving Canton then. I won't argue with you though, it would be kind of stupid.

and here is the most awesome sight in the world for Bluecoats fans...enjoy it before the Cadets post their score..

Actually, it's kind of fun for anyone wanting to see a shakeup in the status quo. I love Blue Devils and Cavies, but to see Bluecoats not only moving up in the world -- but moving to the top of the heap -- is pretty exciting. Congratulations, Bluecoats!

My favorite part of this is that I'm not the only one who freaked out when they saw the scores last night. It was awesome, and I just don't think my friends or roommates got it. I went running, and had to listen to only Bluecoats the whole run. I love BD and Cavies are cool too, but just to see drum corps working like that is awesome. I would love it if every year every corps were within 2 points of eachother, digging it out for finals, and placements were rarely ever the same. That would be my ideal drum corps, and Bluecoats are really breaking up the mix. Man, what an awesome season!

I know ...or at least and 95% sure...Spirit and Crossmen have at one point or another beaten all the corps currently out there. I wonder if Troopers and Blue Stars have as well, like way back in the day. Hmmm...

The only existing corps that Spirit has never beaten is Blue Devils.

And the Cadets have beaten Phantom (Bluecoats have not) and the Cadets HAVE beaten the Bluecoats. The Cadets may not have beaten the Cavies YET but they will. The Cadets haven't even seen the Cavies in a while. I think it's safe to say, right now, the Cadets are in the #1 position. Period!

And, I am no longer a Cadets fan - for obvious reasons, but it appears they are in the drivers seat right now.

Yes, but bluecoats have beaten cadets this season too.