Late Westminster MD review

Here's a case where you should probably refrain from making such a broad statement which, in essence, speaks for "the audience." There are plenty of fans across the country who love the Cadets just fine, even with their recent shows which spotlight amped voice. Some (gasp) actually enjoy these shows! :)

Yup - you are absolutely right.

(though I still hope they focus primarily on musical and visual innovation in the future)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks for the great opinions! Just want to quickly clarify a few things that might have been misunderstood....

"Don't translate your dislike of narration into the general audience."

Yeah, I don't recall speaking for the general audience in my post. I was pretty much expressing my personal opinion, and perhaps those of friends/family at the same shows.

"I don't agree with your concert hall analogy. The Cadets show is designed for narration. Your analogy should be, "It's like going to a concert hall and listening to a piece of music containing narration/amplified voice."

Again, thanks for telling me what I should have thought. Next time I'll try to do better. My actual analogy referred to how distracting the continuous narration was and how it disturbed my enjoyment of the musical / visual parts of the performance, much like it would be if you were in a movie theater and someone kept talking constantly.

Anyway - I also don't recall saying I'm against narration (whether the piece was originally intended for that or not).

I'm against poorly amplified, unprofessional sounding narration that contains sophomoric, meaningless sounding text.

Why is it that the '07 Cadets (or the '05 Blue Devils or '04 BAC, for example) seem to have a Box 5 mentality (ie, striving for excellence of the highest order)

with the drill design, brass, percussion, color guard, but the narration somehow gets a pass and is allowed to sound juvenile?

It doesn't make sense in my book. If you're shooting for artistic excellence (and the '07 Cadets obviously are) , why not do it across the board???

Box 2 level-sounding narration doesn't have a place in such a show as this. It diminishes the extraordinary excellence they are already achieving.

thanks - and remember - opinion! It may not even be the same as yours!

I see, so then your analogy should have been, "It's like going to a concert hall to see a piece of music with narration. However, I wish the composer did not write narration into the show so I could have avoided the intended distraction." There's a reason the show contains amplified speaking - they want you to listen to it. That is completely different from someone using poor etiquette and mumbling to their friend in the background.

Also, can you be more specific with what phrases you found to be juvenile?

Edited by CadetsFan08

I really enjoyed your review, and I am 100% with you as far as your explaining your dislike of the amped vocal sections mentioned. But, you should have known that the Cadets fanatics would come out and try to tell you your opinion is wrong. You're not allowed to NOT like amplified voice, no matter how tastefully or respectfully you say it... :rolleyes:

He was specific.

No. I see no specific phrases. Just generalities. Unless, of course, everything that was said was juvenile. But I doubt that.

Hey, thanks for the great opinions! Just want to quickly clarify a few things that might have been misunderstood....

"Don't translate your dislike of narration into the general audience."

Yeah, I don't recall speaking for the general audience in my post. I was pretty much expressing my personal opinion, and perhaps those of friends/family at the same shows.

That was me replying to this...

...and your audience will love you again.

Seems general to me.

I really enjoyed your review, and I am 100% with you as far as your explaining your dislike of the amped vocal sections mentioned. But, you should have known that the Cadets fanatics would come out and try to tell you your opinion is wrong. You're not allowed to NOT like amplified voice, no matter how tastefully or respectfully you say it... :rolleyes:

Which "Cadet fanatics" said he personally can't dislike narration...and said his opinion was wrong?

I think it's funny how users come to read posts in the REVIEWS forum and tell the original poster what they should have thought, how they should feel, and what they did wrong. My advice: read the review, thank the reviewer for taking the time, and add to what was said (optional). Something like "Great review. I agree 100%." Or "Thank you for the review. Although, I thought this... about the performance." Keep in mind, these are posted by people that were at the show and are giving their impressions of the LIVE performance, as they saw it. If you don't like what they have to say about your corps, just reply "Thanks for taking the time for the review." Or don't reply at all.

BTW, great review. Very well-written.

Good review. Thank you for taking the time!