All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I paid $75 for a concert per ticket last year, and I could spit and hit the lead singer. Pretty sad when concert tickets for a world tour are cheaper than NightBeat.
  3. Today
  4. You're kidding me! I was almost 27 and married in 74 when our data processing class graduated. Let's see. IBM 350's, reel to reel tape machines, and punched cards.
  5. I have to shift a scheduling conflict around but planning to make all events. For certain I’ll be at BC. Looking forward to Bell In Hand. That will be fun. I think we’ll have a band there too. Would love to meet up. I remember you from Blue Hills Tech days.
  6. The crowd on Finals night 08 yelling "I am Spartacus" is number 1 in my book.
  7. Save me a seat LM, but you might have to use a limousine drivers sign with Ghost on it since I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you. Just bought the gala gig on Friday. Also the top package. Glad the Bell and Hand on Thursday has no cover charge.
  8. OK, of course I say Danny Boy, but isn’t there any love for 74 Scouts’ Ballet in Brass? Or Brian’s Song?
  9. I almost put BS' tune in my list. Was not sure of 1970 counted. LOVE "Free Again". Definitely on my 60's list, as they played it in 69 and 70. Skyliners..."Give My Regards to Broadway" exit with the "Little Ol' NY" reprise and final fanfare from the end zone. Bayonne...1976 closer "What I Did For Love"/"One" from "A Chorus Line".
  10. You need all of the three legs of the tripod, members, staff and design.
  11. The individual donations dropped 1.1% in 2018, the year after the new tax laws went into effect. The total amount increased 0.7% (factoring in all types of giving...corporations, trusts, etc), according to this article in Forbes.
  12. Once upon a time, MM’s performance at a specific show could make a huge difference in outcomes, even surpassing the design’s impact. For example, 1979 Troopers at DCI Prelims.
  13. That certainly is the mantra. Of course we all know talent has probably never determined the champion. Staff and design matter most.
  14. Yesterday
  15. Yup. I can think of at least one corps that has fit that mold the past couple seasons... particularly drums April was famous for picking folks for Cadets guard that just worked hard and showed promise - like the one who kept trying, practiced during breaks and then stayed after camp to help put all the equipment away.
  16. Why? As they say, "You know it's a big show if Brandt Crocker's the announcer."
  17. That's the only one I've ever done I'm proud to say. (Oh, yeah, and there was that one time I said "CRYSTAL!".)
  18. Wrong. They were just willing to give chances. I remember 30 years ago hearing about a percussion section stacked with individual talent but they couldn’t play together to save their lives. Too many proms donnas. Cadets brought kids in and looked at work ethic. They looked at desire. It may not have paid off year one, but a lot of kids in the 89 brass section, panned by many in here, stuck around for 90. How’d that turn out? Even in 11, I know kids cut elsewhere got a ring, beating the corps that first cut them
  19. Cadets were never the most talented corps. Many people have rings with a maroon stone that would have been cut elsewhere
  20. The tweaks from 91 to 92 make all the difference.... and finals site helped
  21. Let’s go Hawthorne” still happens at DCA shows and of course Vaaaaaaaannnnnnnngggggggguuuuuuuaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddd
  22. I'm not a fan of the shouting in the middle of shows (e.g., the aforementioned Crystal, Frank, and the baby) apart from a well-timed "Vanguard!" or "Holy Name!" -- those tend to fit. As for pre-show shouts, I just wish there was more variety. Only one group should get to use "They're always ready!" The rest need to come up with their own reply. At least it's not like marching band, where 75% of the performances at any competition are proceeded by repeated "Give me a __!" leading to "What's that spell?" (And inevitably there's a handful of times each year where the cheerleading parent misspells the name.)
  23. OK. But I’m guessing someone likes the other two they mentioned.
  1. Load more activity