Connecticut Hurricanes Celebrate Sixty Years In 2014
Drum corps records will show that the Connecticut Hurricanes were originated in 1955, but it was actually back in 1932 that the actual roots of the corps were planted. The John H. Collins Post Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps started with a donation of six fifes, four drums, and one base drum by Walter H. De Forest. The corps remained a fife, drum, and bugle corps until 1949 when they dropped fife from their title. In 1955, Gene Imperatto went to the capital city of Hartford and incorporated the drum corps and thus became the group known as the Connecticut Hurricanes. The name was adapted after Hurricane Diana ravaged much of southern New England that same year. The 1960’s very highly successful for the corps as they won the DCA World Championship in 1967 and 1969 as well as several American Legion National titles and National Dream victories. The Hurricanes are a charter member of Drum Corps Associates which first started in 1964 and is celebrating their fiftieth anniversary this year. Even though there was no championship event that first year, the New York Skyliners and Hurricanes were locked into a first place tie in the post season ratings. The corps trademark song “Magnificent Seven” was first played in 1961 and has been every year since then.
Read the rest of the article here.