Am I Crazy? I want to volunteer as a tech/instuctor

TKYR_FA1986

I agree with what almost everyone has said. You don't get rich teaching high school guard - at least not most of us. My only caution would be this. I have two past grads who wanted to volunteer to tech for me. It was great to have them around, but then their committment waned. So I ended up on my own, when I thought I would have help. As the lead instructor, I'd tell you to make sure you commit fully, even if you aren't getting paid. People make plans based on committments.

I agree with what almost everyone has said. You don't get rich teaching high school guard - at least not most of us. My only caution would be this. I have two past grads who wanted to volunteer to tech for me. It was great to have them around, but then their committment waned. So I ended up on my own, when I thought I would have help. As the lead instructor, I'd tell you to make sure you commit fully, even if you aren't getting paid. People make plans based on committments.

Amen! I've always refused to hire anyone (even as a volunteer) who hasn't marched independent guard or corps or at least marched at college.

I've found that most of the "volunteers" want to come back because they miss high school guard or want to spend time being 'looked up to' instead of actually helping, or hanging w/friends who haven't graduated yet, and they don't understand what it's like being on the other side. When they actually have to work, they get frustrated and stop showing up.

You nailed that one! They said they gained a whole new respect for me during the process. But it didn't help much when I was still the only one there running practice and trying to figure out how to manage three sections in one two hour block of rehearsal.