DVD Reviews?

Anybody have any reviews after watching the DVD's? (for any of the divisions).

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

Let me try!

Spartans

One of the most creative shows I've seen to date, from any division. Loved the visuals from the drumline in "The Fool". The music has made this on my list of all-time favorites. The drill was very clean, too. I love this corps!!! :bluedevil::rolleyes::worthy: I REALLY hope they do well in world class!!!!!

Jersey Surf

They deserved the score that they got, very clean and lots of visuals. But I'm personally not a fan of the show itself, it's just not my taste in music. And the screens weren't really used for anything, which in my opinion is good (HATE those kind of props). The stool drumming is overrated, too.

Teal Sound

We saw them at literally every stop on tour, so I've seen this one in person a few times. My opinion for the DVD version is the same: INCREDIBLE music, but they took too much time perfecting that and not enough on writing good drill to go with it.

Blue Devis B

Reminds me a lot of the "A" corps as far as drill goes (which is obviously a GREAT thing). As for the music, I haven't heard Emerson, Lake, and Palmer before but my educated guess is that these guys might be better.

Vanguard Cadets

Again, lots in common with its big brother, especially in the percussion. The running and the exit were pretty exciting.

Raiders

Much better than I felt it was on the field. That's all I'm going to say about my own corps. :P

Memphis Sound

My favorite show on the DVD. Great music, great drill, great everything! They're already the champs with the score they have, and I still think it should be MUCH higher! :worthy:

Dutch Boy

My family had seen the show in person and told me about the rocket on the plane back, so since then I had been eager to see it for myself. Very well-done, I loved how they made that "what happens next?" feeling in me when they left the field in that formation.

Revolution

It was boring. This is my own opinion and not that of the Raiders, but to avoid trouble I'm going to say no more.

Oregon Crusaders

After seeing Phantom Regiment's version of '1000 Airplanes on the Roof', I thought this show was a little slow (probably would've been different if I hadn't seen PR first). The archways annoyed me a little bit, but large stationery props usually do so that's nothing new. However, that handicapped kid was really awesome! If anything, this show at least made me realize that the Oregon Crusaders are really cool people!

Impulse

I'm a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy, but I don't think this show really captured the magic of the game (I realize that's an impossible feat for any corps, but still...). The most amusing part for me was at the beginning, because the kid carrying the sword looked EXACTLY like Cloud! :worthy:

Yokohama Scouts

Music was very good, drill was clean too. There's a lot of talent in this corps, and from what I've heard they're one of the best in Japan too. I hope they come back with something even better in the future!

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

The DVD needs a high cam option for EVERYONE... so many components are lost when the multi-cam is in the wrong place. You're not just losing subtleties, but visual features can be totally lost. It's really frustrating to hear the audience cheering for a visual feature while the camera is recording something irrelevant 30 yards away.

I'll chime in with a II/III review later but I want to say that I thought the Vanguard Cadets' show was really a great show, and underrated. I loved how they left the field at the end with the trumpet solo. I haven't watched all the corps on the DVD yet as I've been too busy watching the Raiders over and over again lol. I can't get enough of our WSS show this year, haha. Regardless of where we placed or how we performed it.

As for the Div I DVD's, I still have a long way to go before I can review that, haha.

I completely agree with you about the high cam, I was looking forward to watching our drill this year but I didn't get to see too much of it.

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
I'll chime in with a II/III review later but I want to say that I thought the Vanguard Cadets' show was really a great show, and underrated. I loved how they left the field at the end with the trumpet solo. I haven't watched all the corps on the DVD yet as I've been too busy watching the Raiders over and over again lol. I can't get enough of our WSS show this year, haha. Regardless of where we placed or how we performed it.

As for the Div I DVD's, I still have a long way to go before I can review that, haha.

I completely agree with you about the high cam, I was looking forward to watching our drill this year but I didn't get to see too much of it.

I don't think you missed much in the drill. There were two fun hornline visuals where they zoomed in on the drumline, but those are the only big parts. You can see part of the visual anyway, just not the whole thing.

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

I don't think you missed much in the drill. There were two fun hornline visuals where they zoomed in on the drumline, but those are the only big parts. You can see part of the visual anyway, just not the whole thing.

Guess you're right but I still wanted to see the drill at letter I in the opener with all the drum features. But I guess I'll live.

Edited by marimbaman89

Is it me, or did the opening sequence of Crossmen's show get axed? I might have missed some sort of notice regarding that if it was an issue.

Yeah, they were talking about it in the World Class Forum DVD thread. Apparently DCI said beforehand that they weren't recording pre-shows or something. Not exactly sure, go in that thread to check.