Mini Corps Review - All Corps

Cathie, thanks ever so much for the review and acknowledgement. Yes, we do perform with movement elsewhere during the season, but as you noticed, the venue is not geared to a 3 dimensional project. The 'kids' (avg. age is 17.5) were in it for the love of performance and a learning experience........as well as being entertained by the other competitors. It gave them (vet's and rookies alike) a starting point to see what we can do next year.

Keep up the good reviews and we'll see you in the future

Jim

Just like last year I got to see every single mini corps, but unlike last year I kept notes so I could keep track of all the things you guys say about these great corps and not get too confused.

Amoskeag Sound – I was so excited to see you guys again. You were one of my favorite groups last year and you didn’t disappoint this year. It was nice to see you had a few more people too. Your tambourine player was a crack up and your single contra player really held their own. You guys had sent out a teaser video clip of “Hava Nagila” to tide us (or at least me) over until the show this year and it was well worth it. I loved that you chose another Evita piece as well. I’m a sucker for the Broadway stuff and well-known songs like that, so I was thoroughly entertained.

So now all I have to do is go figure out how I’m going to make rehearsals for Mass Brass, Golden Eagles and Amoskeag and still march Dream. If anyone has recently developed the technology for instantaneous molecular travel, please let me know. It’ll make planning my commute a hell of a lot easier.

Cathy as always thanks so much for the kind words. We're glad we have at least one faithful fan out there :innocent: . We're very honored you put us in the company of Mass Brass and Golden Eagles. We try to entertain and we're happy someone out there recognizes that.

I really wish we could clone our guys so we could put out the power some of the bigger groups do. We'll keep working it the best we can with what we got and hopefully some folks in New England (or CA) will decide to join the fun.

Thanks,

Dave

Star United – Loved, loved, loved this show. It took me a while to get into last year’s show, which soon became one of my favorites and most played on the Tube That Shall Not Be Named, but I was hooked from the beginning this year. I can’t remember what it was, but your opener was spectacular and jaw-dropping. :blink: And then… off it went.

Cathy thank you for a lovingly written review. It helps me imagine the performances that I can get of hint of when all the corps are warming up. And thank you for your enthusiasm for our performance.

The first piece is named "Fly" and is an original composition by Josh Talbot. Incredibly layered and fun to play.

You played a movement from Rutter’s Requiem (Pie Jesu, I think) and I freaked.

Yes, that was Rutter's Pie Jesu. When we told some people we were playing PJ, they thought of Andrew Lloyd Webber's version and were surprised. PJ is a tougher piece to play than it sounds. But you know that by having sung it. Keep on freeking sister! :innocent: .

I was also really happy that you got to play to the Finals crowd. That was a great addition by the DCA staff.

I'll say. Thank you DCA! It was great to be able to play our show in a stadium. And, honestly, quite emotional to be on turf once again with the name Star being announced.

Thank you for allowing us to entertain you.

Edited by kasommer

Cathie,

Glad you enjoyed the show. We have a great time up there and hope it shows in our performance. I know that my "tail feathers" are still recovering from the experience.

You are right that it was my little girl in the bumble bee outfit. We actually weren't planning on her wearing that for the show but on the ride up we stopped at Cracker Barrel and saw it. We had to get it for her. Her name is Madison and at 8 months old (tomorrow), she is already an avid drum corps observer. Adding prelims and the alumni show, she's now been to 5 shows.

To everyone who enjoyed our performance,

Thank you. The reason why I'm still involved in drum corps after 20 years is for that moment after the show when I turn around to face the crowd and seeing them standing and clapping. It makes me want to do the show all over again. There is nothing better in this world, well, except for Madison :)

Golden Eagles – You were another one of my favorites last year and you brought it this year as well. It was nice to see Tom brought his “tail feathers” again this year and was shaking them crazy as ever. :cool: Actually, there was a teeny tiny little baby Golden Eagle fan in her cute-as-heck bumble bee costume offering her daddy support during the show right next to me. If I heard right, that was Tom’s little girl. She was so excited during the show. I loved the way you started your show in the mixed arc and then Frank came in from the audience. It was cool and unexpected. That would explain why I couldn’t find him on stage when the show started. :w00t: I have to say that when you started playing “When a Man Loves a Woman” I was nervous. Unfortunately, I’m one of the eight people on this planet that is not a fan of the 1992 Blue Devils show and especially that song. When you had to listen to it every show during the season as you lined up for retreat it could wear on you. Not only did I not cringe while you played it (natural uncontrolled response) I really wound up liking it, which is saying a lot! That song and I don’t get along. I have to mention your tri-bass player as well. He was fun to watch. Your show was an absolute blast and except for the fact that your show was too short (you could have added a song or two or twelve) it was just as great as last year’s show.