Bluecoats Documentary: Throw It Down

what i want to know is in which forms of media it will be available. i think that's a topic that'll make a big difference with people reading about it on dcp as well.

I think that's an excellent point Jarrod, and I wish I had more information for you. The last time I saw the filmmakers face to face they said they were going to try every method under the sun for distribution, and the executive producer even joked about dropping the movie from airplanes…so it’s tough to be sure exactly what media form the movie will make its debut in. I’m hoping for theaters first, but that may be a ways off. I guarantee that at some point, it will be available for DVD purchase. I received an email today from the director about the movie’s progress…

We are halfway through Color Grading and Mixing the film to get it ready for

duplication...

John E. Maher

I don't know a whole lot about film editing, but they sound like they're making good progress. No news about BOA yet either, but I know it was a goal of the filmakers to have the movie finished in time for Grand Nats.

I think that's an excellent point Jarrod, and I wish I had more information for you. The last time I saw the filmmakers face to face they said they were going to try every method under the sun for distribution, and the executive producer even joked about dropping the movie from airplanes…so it’s tough to be sure exactly what media form the movie will make its debut in. I’m hoping for theaters first, but that may be a ways off. I guarantee that at some point, it will be available for DVD purchase. I received an email today from the director about the movie’s progress…

We are halfway through Color Grading and Mixing the film to get it ready for

duplication...

John E. Maher

I don't know a whole lot about film editing, but they sound like they're making good progress. No news about BOA yet either, but I know it was a goal of the filmakers to have the movie finished in time for Grand Nats.

Color "Grading" or Color Correction is one of the last processes in video post-production before final output to tape. This means that the picture is "Locked" and that no further changes will be done to the actual cuts. All final decisions are made regarding the story-telling process prior to color correction. In the color correction process, each shot is brought up and optimized for brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation, hue. This job is akin to touching up photos in Photoshop. Another duty is to match the color of the shots to each other so that the cuts blend seamlessly (shots are often shot on different cameras or with a slightly different lighting setup, so some fine tuning must be done while monitoring the picture with sensitive electronic "scopes"). Color "looks"are also added at this stage (like the green hues of "The Matrix", for example).

The "Mixing" he is referring to has to do with audio post-production. Mixing tracks is the final process in audio post. This means that since picture is locked, audio will be leaving the editor's hands and is passed to the audio technician.

After the mixing and color correction is complete, the two will be synched back up and output, probably to some flavor of HD, hopefully HDCAM SR HQ. That way it can be easily projected and will strike nice copies for DVD distribution.

I see a film like this on the festival circuit first. If it's popular there, then it may get picked up. It's going to take some aggressive marketing and, of course, money to sell this no matter the content.

As an aside, I am a film editor and colorist here in LA. I also teach editing, wrote books about it and worked at Apple, Pixar and others. I've always wanted to make a film about drum corps, as well. But mine, of course, would be about Santa Clara. :satisfied:

I recently color corrected the epic rock concert from 1978, "Cheap Trick: Live at Budokan". A real piece of history.

... and the executive producer even joked about dropping the movie from airplanes…

'As God as my witness, I thought videos could fly.'

Edited by sday88