Yamato's "Brass Theater 101"

yamae

NEW for Summer 2009!

Yamato Youth Performing Arts Organization is very excited to present Brass Theater 101! “BT101” is an "Indoor Brass Ensemble," that gives marching brass players an opportunity to perform in a new, expressive venue.

Yamato's Brass Theater 101 was conceived by Marc Kaufman of Atlanta, GA. Mr. Kaufman has 20 plus years experience as an educator and musician. He is also a former drum corps Executive Director, marching member, and Broadway actor.

Brass Theater is unique compared to other, traditional brass ensembles around today. BT101 is a marching arts ensemble that performs in an area about the same as an indoor drumline or winterguard, in a gym or other large indoor space. In a Brass Theater 101 show, performers present a thematic production combining music, movement (structured as well as choreographed) and theater, that brings the emotion and power of brass closer than ever to the audience. The Brass Theater concept is envisioned as a first step toward a new competitive venue, Indoor Brass, which would compliment other winter season ensembles such as indoor percussion and winterguard. Indoor Brass would give brass players a chance to march and perform long after the last touchdown is scored at their college or high school.

Brass Theater 101 instrumentation consists of a brassline and a rhythm section. The brassline will be comprised of trumpets, mellophones, baritones, and tubas.. The Rhythm section will be a mixture between a jazz rhythm section and a contemporary marching pit including: a synthesizer/electric piano, electric guitar, bass guitar, marimba, vibes, drum set and auxiliary percussion.

For more information, visit Yamato Brass Theater 101!

email_banner.jpg

Edited by yamae

OK, so this is a riff on Blast!

I have to wonder, though, why something that is supposed to be complementary to winter guard and drumline is scheduled for the summer. That seems just a wee bit counterintuitive.

I have to wonder if the music will stay focused on the brass, as the rhythm section is a rock band, complete with keyboards. That, coupled with the call for actors and acting, suggests that the brass playing will quickly become secondary to the rock opera productions.

And they'll be short rock operas, too. 12 minutes performances. Makes me think of One Minute Shakespeare productions with rock bands.

Now, if the actors are mimes and the brass carry the music book, I think it could be quite interesting.

I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it, but I don't agree with the conclusion.

It is pretty logical to want to launch an activity when most kids are home (the summer) and can readily take part. This is a first year for the program so it would also seem pretty safe to say its going to be pretty exploratory. I think band directors would have a hard time buying into something they have never seen...and summer offers much more exposure than winter...so a summer launch for the first year seems more like enlightened thinking.

I would agree that this new activity seems to put less emphasis on "pure" brass playing, but in exchange the performers will be able to play and move, play and act, play and express...etc. I like the idea of them being more than drill spots and that they get to show much more expression.

Of course...the best way to understand what this is would be to go see the show...and that's probably why they put the information in this forum.

OK, so this is a riff on Blast!

I have to wonder, though, why something that is supposed to be complementary to winter guard and drumline is scheduled for the summer. That seems just a wee bit counterintuitive.

I have to wonder if the music will stay focused on the brass, as the rhythm section is a rock band, complete with keyboards. That, coupled with the call for actors and acting, suggests that the brass playing will quickly become secondary to the rock opera productions.

And they'll be short rock operas, too. 12 minutes performances. Makes me think of One Minute Shakespeare productions with rock bands.

Now, if the actors are mimes and the brass carry the music book, I think it could be quite interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Yamato Youth Performing Arts Association will host an ORIENTATION-OPEN HOUSE on Tuesday, May 26th from 7:30 PM at Caliente Restaurant, to introduce its two new summer programs. Come and hear all about it! Caliente Restaurant and Bar is offering $5 off your dinner tab for anyone who comes early or stays after the meeting for dinner and DESSERT is on us! 23040 Alessandro Blvd, Moreno Valley, CA 92553. Be sure to download, print and bring the BT101 or PMC Flyer with you!

Start Fundraising NOW!!!

For those of you who are interested in joining PERCUSSION MASTER CLASS but are concerned about the fees in these economic times, we have a solution for you! We are offering the opportunity for you and your family to take advantage of our fundraising opportunities NOW! For more information, click HERE!

Yamato is pleased to post an mp3 file of Brass Theater 101's music. We would like to thank Mr. Nick Ayala, our brass arranger, for giving us this sneak preview of "Roboto Hakase," Brass Theater 101's 2009 production. BT101 is open to any brass, wind and percussionist who wants to experience some NEW and EXCITING! BRASS THEATER 101!

email_banner.jpg