DESPERATELY NEED 3-VALVE G CONTRAS & EUPHS

Midlanders Alumni Corps

I am the president of the Midlanders Alumni Corps from London, Ontario, Canada. We formed (as do most alumni corps) two years ago after a reunion of our junior corps of the 60's and 70's. We are steadily growing and with the music that makes up most of our book now (big band, jazz) we are switching from two to three valve G bugles. As a start-up group, we can't afford new and could really use 2 or 3 used contras and euphoniums. If you know of or have these instruments that you don't need any more, let me know through this forum or e-mail me at rmadzia@yahoo.com.

Rick Madzia

President

Midlanders Alumni Corps (MAC)[/size]

You really should move away from G Horns they are Great but impossible to get used. Ones that Actually play. Maybe Even Tune..

You can get Marching Brass and honestly wouldn't notice a difference with an Alumni Corps..

I tried Getting The Bracken Cavaliers to move that way prior to their purchasing G Bugles they didn't listen now they struggle to get equipment. It's an Alumni Corps! Buy Marching Brass! You can get them from basically any music store anywhere. And even Better You can buy Stock Charts and play them without any transposition! What a concept! LOL

You'll only get my Kanstul Contrabass Bugle From My Cold Dead Hands. :) My Yamaha Tuba and My Baritone Saxophone is getting to that point too.

I am the president of the Midlanders Alumni Corps from London, Ontario, Canada. We formed (as do most alumni corps) two years ago after a reunion of our junior corps of the 60's and 70's. We are steadily growing and with the music that makes up most of our book now (big band, jazz) we are switching from two to three valve G bugles. As a start-up group, we can't afford new and could really use 2 or 3 used contras and euphoniums. If you know of or have these instruments that you don't need any more, let me know through this forum or e-mail me at rmadzia@yahoo.com.

Rick Madzia

President

Midlanders Alumni Corps (MAC)[/size]

I played a B flat contra for five years with Preston Scout House alumni and at 6'4" and 230 pounds, I couldn't get anywhere near the sound out of that horn than I do my G contra with Midlanders. To me, G bugles are just that; bugles...made for the outdoors. I knew we would run into this problem and I firmly believe that there are 3 valve G's out there. We had no problem getting sopranos, mellophones or baritones. Somewhere, contras and euphs are sitting, waiting for my wallet.

G doesn't magically make it outdoor-ready; I'd be interested to know what the Bb horn was and what the G horn was for comparison's sake. In any case, I'm sure there are corps out there with stock but that stock is shrinking quickly. eBay is a good place to start if you're looking for anything at all.

G doesn't magically make it outdoor-ready; I'd be interested to know what the Bb horn was and what the G horn was for comparison's sake. In any case, I'm sure there are corps out there with stock but that stock is shrinking quickly. eBay is a good place to start if you're looking for anything at all.

The B flat was a Yamaha and the G is a Dynasty

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't lock yourself into 3-valve Contras you'll have better luck - 2 of them just went for a couple of hundred $$ each over the past few weeks. Playing with 2 valves or valve/rotor is really only is a minor inconvenience. And I agree - unless you're looking for an 'orchestral' sound, G horns project MUCH better than Bb. As you are well aware, they also present intonation issues, but therein lies the charm of G bugles :tongue::tongue::doh:

If you don't lock yourself into 3-valve Contras you'll have better luck - 2 of them just went for a couple of hundred $$ each over the past few weeks. Playing with 2 valves or valve/rotor is really only is a minor inconvenience. And I agree - unless you're looking for an 'orchestral' sound, G horns project MUCH better than Bb. As you are well aware, they also present intonation issues, but therein lies the charm of G bugles :laugh::ninja::winky:

Rich, the only problem with 2 valve horns is that some of today's arrangers lack the inventiveness to write for an incomplete chromatic series. The luxury of three (and sometimes four) valves has made arranging much less of a challenge.

Rich, the only problem with 2 valve horns is that some of today's arrangers lack the inventiveness to write for an incomplete chromatic series. The luxury of three (and sometimes four) valves has made arranging much less of a challenge.

True enough but the reason for needing 3-valves in our corps is that our arranger writes such creative charts that we need that 3rd valve for all the sharps and flats of our big band/jazz style. All our other horns are three valve and this, when combined with our 11-part harmonies, makes for a fuller sound.