Looking for a K-90

Brad T.

At the Dayton Open Class show yesterday, I was given a unique opportunity by the director of Les Stentors to play their one and only King K-90 Contra. The horn was coming apart and had almost no plating left, but holy cow do those horns sound amazing!

Therefore, I'm looking for either an original 2 valve or converted 3 valve K-90. Any help would be appreciated!

Chops I thought had one!

The Kanstul conversion kit is designed for the Olds BU-20. The cluster is a .656 bore.

The K-90 is a .689 bore. The Kanstul kit has been bodged in by a small number of owners, even by the Kanstul factory, but the converted horn plays nothing close to the 2V original.

I am converting several K-90s to 3 pistons, a long-term project for a friend. I am using extra cluster components from other K-90s. But the process is very labor-intensive, and I am refining the design as I go.

The Kanstul conversion kit is designed for the Olds BU-20. The cluster is a .656 bore.

The K-90 is a .689 bore. The Kanstul kit has been bodged in by a small number of owners, even by the Kanstul factory, but the converted horn plays nothing close to the 2V original.

I am converting several K-90s to 3 pistons, a long-term project for a friend. I am using extra cluster components from other K-90s. But the process is very labor-intensive, and I am refining the design as I go.

Are there any other "free blowing" contras out there? I find that the Olds piston/rotor (which I assume is the BU-20) plays very open, similar to the K-90. But the K-90 basically feels like my CC tuba that I had bored out and overhauled. That small 5 valve German tuba can play just as full as the K-90 with my ability. The Dynasty 3 valve horn I own is just so stuffy. I feel like I'm pouring air into it and the more air I put in, the harder it is to play. I've cleaned the horn out religiously... maybe it's all the dents on the main tubing about a full turn and a quarter from the bell-end of the horn...