Tuning G soprano to Ab

SmoothOperator

I am wondering if it is feasible to pull the slides on a 2-valve(valve + rotor) soprano and play it in Gb/A#? Edit(Gb/A#).

There is not enough tuning slide available to drop the bugle a half step. And please study your enharmonics, i.e. Gb = F#

I have some Kanstul 2-piston sopranos that were used by the USMC. They are actually built in Ab (probably so they can play the melody of the Marines Hymn along with the band arrangement in Eb) and must be de-tuned to G for drumcorps usage.

On a valve rotor horn it is not possible. I have a two piston Dynasty soprano that can be tuned down almost to F because of the length of the tuning slide.

There is not enough tuning slide available to drop the bugle a half step. And please study your enharmonics, i.e. Gb = F#

Sorry about that, I am laughing at myself, because I made the mistake once, but also when I tried to correct. I guess F# just isn't my favorite key.

I have some Kanstul 2-piston sopranos that were used by the USMC. They are actually built in Ab (probably so they can play the melody of the Marines Hymn along with the band arrangement in Eb) and must be de-tuned to G for drumcorps usage.

You read my mind. I was thinking exactly of trying to do that. Play Ab tunings with Eb and Bb instruments but switch to play with G and D instruments.

Was it feasible to get good intonation, adjusting the slides, or otherwise?