For Sale: 1987 Garfield Cadets Pearl Championship Snare

Hulka

Link to eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120841655407

Don't miss out on a drum corps fan's ultimate collector snare drum from the 1987 DCI World Champion and High Percussion Champ Garfield Cadets!

I am selling a custom 14"x12" Pearl Championship Series marching snare drum used by the Garfield Cadets in 1987. I bought this drum in 1990 direct from The Cadets when they were clearing out all their unused instruments and were selling drums from the 1987 through 1989 seasons. The corps used the same finish drum all three years which is one of my all-time favorites so I had to get one. They didn't give me a choice of drum so it was pure luck that I got a drum from the '87 season. I didn't know what I had at the time but later confirmed through studying old pictures and talking to someone that marched that era to determine what year this drum was used. Imagine my delight when it registered I had a snare drum from the fabled '87 line that received the only perfect percussion score in DCI history, to date! As much as I'd like to retain this drum in my collection due to its collector value, I'm letting it go as I'm only keeping drums around I only absolutely need these days.

Some things to note on the drum:

• The custom lacquer finish is the original from 1987 and has not been altered in any way. There is normal wear and tear on the finish but it is in amazing condition considering having been through a drum corps tour and being 25 years old!
  • The screws for the lug casings were replaced with what were the genuine Pearl screws circa 1990 because the original screws were brittle and cracking.
  • The only shell defect is as shown in the close-up of the bearing edge.
  • The hoops are original as you may have guessed from how warped they are. The Pearl die cast hoops were notorious back then for not staying straight which often times made it difficult to pry the old heads out of the hoop and seat a new head. Good times!
  • The throw-off side of the snare strainer is missing the rubber grip around handle.
  • The guts are in great condition and the entire snare mechanism is in working order.
  • The tension rods are mostly missing, having been pillaged for other drum projects over the years. The rods that are present are not all alike.
  • The dual carrier attachments are from an earlier Pearl carrier that actually attached to both clips. You'll notice in '87 the line ended up with different carriers so the drum is offset one lug from the usual position as noticeable by the off-center Pearl badge in pictures and video (see below).
  • This drum, being manufactured in 1987, was Made in the USA! (Yep, you're old if you remember the days when the marching drums were still made stateside.)

It should be noted the stand holding the drum in the pictures is NOT included with this auction. You're only bidding on the drum itself.

Replace the tension rods, put some heads on it and you have a playable drum corps historic artifact!

To see this drum up close and in action, check out these videos:

Own this beautiful drum that has been a part of drum corps history!

Buyer agrees to pay shipping of $30.00 in addition to the final cost of the drum (unless a pickup). Please contact me ahead of time if interested in a local pick-up. I'll consider shipping internationally but the shipping gets outrageous so I'll have to pass along the additional charges to an international buyer.