The Skyliners mourn the loss of an old friend....

Bucky Swan....

I didn't know Bucky as well or as long as some of you. I came into the Skyliners in 2000. Bucky was always around and Roger Ellis was right....Bucky would always work towards getting us to play like "Skyliners".

A personal story....I was trying to get some traction for a junior corps in Hopatcong, Nj called Bishop's Rock. This was 1999, 2000 or so. The township had a summer rec program and we were allowed to put a program in. I thought it would be cool to teach young kids, 8 to 10 years old to play a soprano bugle. We didn't think anyone would sign up but as it turned out, we had 8 kids jump into the week long program. I was talking with Bucky about it and he said "hey, if you need someone to help teach, I'll do it." I accepted his offer and he drove from The Amboys up to Hopatcong everyday for a week to teach these kids for an hour. The kids had a BALL. They actually nicknamed Bucky "The Cookie Man". The reason was because he taught the kids to make believe they were blowing cookie crumbs through the lips to make the sound in the horn. The bigger the crumb, the bigger the sound they could make. I asked Bucky, what do I owe ya ? He said in his way, "just get me a beer next time we get a chance." Of course, next rehearsal, I brought 2 cases and put them into his car. I was so appreciative of his work with our township kids.....

Bucky will be missed for his passion for the activity and especially for The Skyliners. He has been with and around the organization for more than 57 years. I only wish he was here to see the rebirth of the corps. I know he'll be proud. Next time we sing the corps song, we do it for all past and present Skyliners, but we'll lift a glass and sing it to you, Bucky.....the tears may be in our eyes but they represent the sparkle you had for us in your eyes for all those years....

Rest in Peace, Bucky. The Swan Dive won't be the same without you.

We send our condolences, prayers and love to Bucky's family and all those in the drum corps community who mourn this tragic loss.

Edited by lcarbonell
  • Like 1

Bucky Swan....

I didn't know Bucky as well or as long as some of you. I came into the Skyliners in 2000. Bucky was always around and Roger Ellis was right....Bucky would always work towards getting us to play like "Skyliners".

A personal story....I was trying to get some traction for a junior corps in Hopatcong, Nj called Bishop's Rock. This was 1999, 2000 or so. The township had a summer rec program and we were allowed to put a program in. I thought it would be cool to teach young kids, 8 to 10 years old to play a soprano bugle. We didn't think anyone would sign up but as it turned out, we had 8 kids jump into the week long program. I was talking with Bucky about it and he said "hey, if you need someone to help teach, I'll do it." I accepted his offer and he drove from The Amboys up to Hopatcong everyday for a week to teach these kids for an hour. The kids had a BALL. They actually nicknamed Bucky "The Cookie Man". The reason was because he taught the kids to make believe they were blowing cookie crumbs through the lips to make the sound in the horn. The bigger the crumb, the bigger the sound they could make. I asked Bucky, what do I owe ya ? He said in his way, "just get me a beer next time we get a chance." Of course, next rehearsal, I brought 2 cases and put them into his car. I was so appreciative of his work with our township kids.....

Bucky will be missed for his passion for the activity and especially for The Skyliners. He has been with and around the organization for more than 57 years. I only wish he was here to see the rebirth of the corps. I know he'll be proud. Next time we sing the corps song, we do it for all past and present Skyliners, but we'll lift a glass and sing it to you, Bucky.....the tears may be in our eyes but they represent the sparkle you had for us in your eyes for all those years....

Rest in Peace, Bucky. The Swan Dive won't be the same without you.

We send our condolences, prayers and love to Bucky's family and all those in the drum corps community who mourn this tragic loss.

Thanks for that, Larry. It's becoming apparent that Bucky did a LOT of such things "under the radar". That's the way he was, he did it for the love of the activity, not for praise.

Ray