Second Star to the Right, and Straight on Till Morning...

Oh fiddlesticks - I hope this is received in the intended spirit, but I feel like this is an observation worth sharing and hearing perspective, etc. from the world. 

Like many of us, I am thoroughly entertained by the competitiveness at the top of the standings, but am really equally entertained by the 6-12 (and beyond) bunch. For sure, there is a gap in performance maturity somewhere in between the two blocks, and it's ODD to think of previous champs as being in some of those higher placements (numerically - not competitively), and in some cases potentially not even making finals. But, such is the dance as formerly finals contenders steadily rise through the ranks over the years, and perennial championship contenders continue to contend. 

But, it's there that the thought bubble appeared - in evaluating that "gap", and thus referencing the title of this post - speaking to the future of the activity (ala Kirk's melodramatic invocation of the classic directions to Neverland). Maybe it's the de-shako-ing of the corps', or just the reality that there aren't layers of armor separating the personality of the performers from the experience of the audience - but, in watching many of the corps in that 6-12 rat race, I'm moved by the amount of youth that is just so obviously prevalent in those corps. This is a broad brushstroke - but, to me, it's real apparent. And this isn't some knock against "all them darn kids in this there activity" or shock-and-awe over the youth present in the activity - it is a youth educational activity at it's core. Very aware that the young'ens have always been there, but, this year - it feels rather localized, and omnipresent. 

And, I, for one - think that's great. I think it's a great statement for the activity to see the performers out there, having a great time, learning, building what I would see as the base of the future of drum corps. This is always the case - insert standard, the children are the future comment - but, in seeing the shows and corps that have embodied that demographic, I am enthused about what it means for the future in regards to performance ability, competitiveness, programming, etc.  To that end, I'll leave the following observational addendums:

1) hats off to the admin, instructional staff, etc. that are working these corps, shows, and performers - building in them not just experiences that they'll want to move on from, but holistic, enjoyable, educational experiences that will hopefully retain membership and build on itself in the years to come - in aggregate. 

2) Maybe this DOES explain some of the lack of performance maturity in some of these corps. But, that's not a knock - just an overly broad explanation for some of the observations made when viewing the corps - like, it's there, but little things here and there don't feel complete, or arriving where they should.

3) Ultimately - to the yout in these corps, thank you! You're great. Keep on keepin on. Learn, grow, and don't let numbers, forums, or naysayers tell you any different.

For all of the legitimate fear of the "gap year" and the impact that could have had, I find solace and motivation in seeing how the activity can germinate and reinvent itself in the midst of uncertainty. There are so many things that are going to "kill" the activity (Bb horns, streaming, amplification, fire ants, etc.) - it's good to see another version of survival. It lives on to fight the next threat - woodwind playing robots. 

• Thanks 1