Building "chops"

drumstix909

I've been drumming for a little over 4 years now, and though I was a really quick learner at first, my talent sort of leveled off after a little while and I have had a lot of trouble improving at all. I have a good sense of rhythm and I can play pretty much anything you put in front of me....SLOWLY. But that is exactly my problem. I can't play anything fast enough. I can play excercises fine, and then once I get to a moderate tempo, I can't go any faster, my hands just won't do it. At this sort of "breaking point," by technique goes bad, I can't stay in time, and I screw up a bunch because I can't focus when my hands won't do the work.

The main method I have used to sort of "fix" this issue is to start everything very slowly, rep it at that tempo, then bump it up a few beats and do it again. I always build up until I get to a certain point where all of a sudden I can't play the exercise anymore (even though I could play it 4 beats slower). I will work on it an that tempo a bunch, and then come back the next day and do the same, and it never seems to improve at all, I still won't be able to play it faster.

I have come to the conclusion that this is not a mental block that I have, but rather a physical block. My drumming "chops," the muscles in the arms, hands and fingers that I use to drum, are not strong enough and well enough trained to handle faster tempos.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any ways to build these chops other than just drumming a lot? Obviously drumming a lot is the key, but are there any additional excercises I could do with my hands to help build these muscles? And what drumming excercises work best to build up those muscles?

Also, while you're at it, does anyone know an easy cure for an exceptionally weak left hand? I will stand there drumming everything I know off my left hand all day long, and at the end of the day my left still can't keep up with my right. It is quite frustrating.

Thanks to all who respond!

Randee

Check out rudimentaldrumming.com. Lots and lots of good excercises, tips, and guys to share questions and ideas with. Don't worry about any of the "zealots" on the site. Just wade through some of the "stuff" and you'll get tons and tons of advice.

You can also go to the Cavaliers' website (cavaliers.org) and they sell several very good videos dealing with just the stuff you are asking about.

You sound like me. It’s always been obvious to me that some people are more “natural” drummers. As an aside (and people may argue this), I’ve noticed that skinny people tend to have an easier time drumming. Obviously, that’s not always the case.

Personally, I have to work considerably harder to drum as well as the people around me. I don’t think it’s about building muscles so much as it is about staying loose and getting your brain in gear – especially when it comes to your uncooperative left hand. Just be persistent with your exercises. You sound like you’re on the right track. Keep researching for appropriate exercises and give it as much time as it takes.