Another Woodburn review

First off, I can’t remember if I have posted here before since it has been so long and I don’t remember my login so…time for a new identity.

Some of my thoughts echo a previous poster on this show but I noticed a few additional things. I should mention that I thought the spread from the Crusaders was quite large and would like to see the recaps. Same with the Cascades. This is probably the smallest stadium on the tour. Imagine bleachers in a 3 car garage. Metal roof and back encloses the stands and the rows go A to M (that’s 13 rows total) so for those who want the sound experience, Woo Hoo! Drill folks are out of luck. Maybe this has something to do with scores?

So onto the show…

Oregon Crusaders - I think most people will really enjoy this show if not for the music but the impact and the way the kids sell the show. They can play very loud and full. I think they had 50 or so horns. I believe this was their first show and since kids in Oregon don’t get out of school until mid-June they did a wonderful job. They are confident and did I mention loud. Everything was dirty tonight; drum line, guard, marching, and horns but it was still entertaining because of the intensity. They believe in the show and the music book is written well. Good job Lewis! A smile was on my face the entire show.

SCV Cadets - I have read the previous reviews on this show and agree they are not the same as a year or 2 ago but they are still an SCV organization and that showed. A little intonation issues in the mid voices but overall they balanced well for a small group. I watched the drum line warm-up with my kids and my little girl enjoyed watching the 3 girls in the line. 2 bass and a snare. She thought they were better than the boys.

Spokane Thunder - Great first outing! People really enjoyed the show. I believe it was hard for both SCV and Thunder to follow the Crusaders. Did I mention they were loud? Horn line seems a little young. I thought 5 in the guard would be distracting but it seemed to work very well. I think once they start working on the impact points the show will flow much better. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a big deal but what is with black and green. It seems that is the prerequisite color for corps from the Northwest.

Blue Devils B - Not a guard person but they had a presence. Guard unis stand out as does the corps. Nice to have white in there. Horns are balanced and play very well. Laid it down when needed and the original music suited them well. The drum line had some attitude and really got the crowd into. Now I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but they have a kid in the guard who is fabulous! He has the skill and style and was amazing. He stood out for the fact that he was about a foot and a half shorter than everyone else. Looked to be 9 or 10.

Cascades - Uh, hmm, let’s see…LOUD would describe the horn line. Nice and strong. They are as loud as Phantom but not nearly as balanced or in tune. But I like my music loud so I was enjoying it! The large shapes didn’t add anything to the show. The music and effects in the pit help set-up and tell the story. Drum line seemed a little muddled but again it’s early. Now onto the guard. I did enjoy the guard and the work on the field. The uniforms look similar to Cavies bike show minus knee pads but better. Nice colors. They are rather low cut for the girls/women in the line. I am no prude but some members had issues with possible “wardrobe malfunctions” and I would recommend a tad more material. I bet you thought I forgot about the narration didn’t you? I went in with an open mind and here is what I came away with. Looking solely at the content, the show could stand on its own and doesn’t need it. When you factor in the ability to understand the performer while the corps is playing it makes it a little more difficult to appreciate all that is happening.

Phantom - Really enjoyed the show. Nice start with the pit and a well balanced opening statement. Guards unis fit well and the work complements the show well for what I noticed. I didn’t notice Gene Kelly much so I can’t say he was a distraction. Drum/horn line are doing nicely as is the enormous pit. Execution was good and the show seemed to flow well as pieces were interwoven nicely. What a wonderful job they do with Gershwin!

Finale - Everyone seemed to enjoy Omericanada although it is a little awkward in throwing it in there at the end. Encore was great. Some people actually complained that it was TOO LOUD? Ughhh! I restrained myself and told them to check their batteries. Nothing like some Khachaturian to part the hair. I haven’t heard that live since 81-82. Yes that was me with the silly joker like grin. Of course Wagner to close out was great and I did hear the fat lady singing! The crowded responded with a very long standing ovation and you could see the smiles on the kids faces.

Every corps received a standing O and their efforts were much appreciated. What a night of Drum Corps.

William