mellophone

hopingtoplay

Lots of answers will probably come from lots of people. I suggest the UMI mello 6. I prefer it slightly to the DEG mello 6v and the Kanstul 6. I have not had experience with the new mello mouthpiece the Cavaliers are using.

I would have to say most corps probably use one of the "mello 6" variants. I think you can find a few options online at the Woodwind and Brasswind store - www.wwbw.com. These types are probably sort-of an industry standard, and like I said before, I prefer the UMI version myself.

Lots of answers will probably come from lots of people.  I suggest the UMI mello 6.  I prefer it slightly to the DEG mello 6v and the Kanstul 6.  I have not had experience with the new mello mouthpiece the Cavaliers are using.

The 6V variants are pretty much all there is "off the shelf". That new mouthpiece the Cavies are using has a lot of mass to it. I talked to a very experienced mello/frenchie player that liked it after the break-in period. Haven't tried it myself.

FWIW, back in the day, I seem to recall Dom DelRa (the guy responsible for the original mellophone bugle) was recommending a Parduba 6* as the mouthpiece of choice. The double cup design was a reasonable approximation of the 6V profile.

My suggestion is to pick a 6V of one kind or another and start playing on it. When you get into a corps, the staff there will have preferences that will supercede whatever you're doing anyway.

Ditto on the staff opinion overriding yours...that happens everywhere, I'm pretty sure.

Ditto on the staff opinion overriding yours...that happens everywhere, I'm pretty sure.

Yep, the staff will probably rule what you have to do, so maybe figure out where you want to play and find out what they require.

I have tried the "sparkplug sockets" that the Cavie's used, and it didn't suit my chops, plus it is way heavy for an old guy...

I have been using a Warburton Mello 5 this year. It works much better for my chops than the 6V did. Since the factory burned down I am not sure about availability though.....

Guido

• 3 weeks later...