Oswego, IL

I've done reviews in the past so I do so again this year for those who have percussion in their blood.

Quick bio on me, I marched corps in 97-98, I've written for over 10 years now for local marching bands in my area, and I live in Northcentral Wisconsin. Percussion is my true love and this year is no exception of drum corps withdrawl that has set in. Now to my review....

This is my second time in Oswego, I was there last year too, and was happy to see some improvements made to venue. No issues for me with impossible lines in the rest rooms or concessions this year.

CAPITAL SOUND - My first corps of the 2006 season, I was pumped! First of all, the corps seems a bit smaller than last year. They seemed to have a much stronger upper brass section, while the lower brass didn't catch my ear tonight. (I'm a percussionist, bear with me, hehe) Their battery was very small starting with only 1 snare, 1 tenor, and 3 basses to start out the night. A second snare came on later in the show. Couple things that caught my eye were the use of the 3 smallest bass drums. I have no issue with a small corps only having 3 basses, but the unison sounds with those three were not explosive at all. (guessing 22 or 24 inch being thier largest bass) I would hope that if they have 3 basses the entire season, that they would maybe choose a little bit larger drums so their unisons would be more effective.

Speaking of their bass line, I noticed that one side of their drum heads were black, and then the other was white. So depending on which way they were facing, it was white heads or black heads. Not sure if this was done on purpose or a lack of heads issue, but I thought it was kind of neat seeing that. If they keep that, I would like to check how they are doing that to integrate it into the show.

The battery did come off the field in the ballad and played some keys. I didn't notice a substantial sound difference with their normal pit, but it's early yet. This could turn to a nice highlight in their show.

Other than that, it was an early season performance for them and off to a good start. They did not play their closer tonight and hope to see and hear that soon hopefully.

PIONEER - This may sound strange, but I'm not saying this in a mean way, but every time I see this corps I can't help but play the game "count how many green clovers they have stuck to their drums". Well, I can tell you that I didn't count nearly as many this year thankfully. Some on the concert basses like usual, snares had orange ones on the scoops, and then I got distracted and didn't look for the rest.

Anywho, I really enjoyed thier show this year. I mean that too! It was nice to hear the music and not have any thoughts of an "Irish Washerwomen-esque" sound to it. Pit was very emotional for being early in the season and I really appreciated that a lot! Battery seemed pretty strong so far. They have a nice full size line, even though was a bit dirty tonight (as one would expect). There was one concert bass drum hit in the pit on both bass drums that were off that made me cringe a bit.

Something I noticed was in the pit tonight. They have mostly male members in the pit except for two females on the left hand side. I really enjoyed watching them (not because they were ladies eighter). They had the most visual envolvement with the pit and it showed in their expression of their music. Very nice indeed! Not sure if this was an oops thing, but the one lady had silver dangling earrings on. They looked nice, but ya know, maybe some house cleaning that was missed about no jewlry, or maybe they are going to allow that for expression sake. I don't know. But again, just caught my eye.

Final note, the pit made use of the new rule of a staff member manning the amplification sound board off field. It works nicely I think. So far I chalk it up to a good rule change; others may disagree. Otherwise I thought it sounded good and no complaints here.

Other than that, well done so far for Pioneer, and I'll for sure be checking out their show again. I enjoyed it a lot.

SOUTHWIND - Another black vs white visual tonight, and it wasn't in their bass drum head selection. The corps has a mostly white uni or a mostly black uni. This tied along with a theme and visual...."yeah, baby; yeah!" I really liked it. You need to check out this show for the drill and the use of the color. Brilliant!

A noticed missing hole was there and it was in the bass section. Number 3 was not there. I hope that is filled, was way too noticeable. But I did notice that the bass line covered all those spots nicely in the music. Basses again had cymbals attached to the drums.

I was so tied up into the visual and color stuff going on that I'll admit I didn't watch drums that much. I'll make sure to next time.

Overall, I would say go see this corps. Staff really have the right formula with reguards to show design. Another corps I want to see again. Nice job!

GLASSMEN - Unique show is what comes to mind. It was very refreshing to hear music that was noticeable. I believe they opened up with Beethoven's 5th, very powerful and what a great statement to start off the show.

The battery had a ton of moments tonight! Bass drums had a run in the beginning that would make drum judge Alan Kristensen say "Oh bass drums, that was HOT!" Snares had some great features and were pretty tight so far. Tenors were a bit sloppy on theirs, but it's early. When the battery plays at the end, holy notes! Very nice writing and was very sweet to hear. So make sure you listen to the battery the last 16 or so bars at the end of their show.

I need another viewing to really appreciate what they are doing. I had a case of "caught up in familiar music" and was just listening and enjoying. So I didn't critique as I should have. But I say good job to them for getting me that distracted.

(Quick Note: I think it was the Glassmen, but it could have been Southwind; I don't remember. One of those corps ended with the same drill formation as in their opening set. It was cool to see, and I'm sorry if I don't remember. No offense to any corps of course. I need to check that out again. So watch for that with one of these corps. If anyone knows who it was, reply back, I want to know.)

CAVALIERS - Machine! This show screams Machine. What would you expect from the Cavies? Right off the bat I noticed the guard uniforms and how they so fit the part of the machine (robot looking more like it).

Crazy, I mean CRAZY sounds coming out of that pit tonight! Things I've never heard or seen before blanketed their show. Many strange bowed instruments (have no clue what that one player was holding in his hand and bowing). A typewriter was also played during a segment of music. Also, one of the best uses of cowbells I've ever heard in my life. They had what looked to be 5 cowbells in graduated sizes and were played like temple blocks. The tones that were coming from that rack-o-cowbells was astonishing. Lastly, when the corps does movement on the field that is robotic like, a pit member plays a siren whistle that mimmicks the sound of the small motors moving in a robot. (blows out to start the sound and sucks to cut it off) Just amazing hearing all of that. You need at least one viewing just to catch all the sounds they are making in that pit, and I'm not kidding on that.

Battery was very musical in their playing. Kudos to Jim Casella and his writing style. An absolute fantastic book. I'll say it to end all the posts wondering, SNARES ARE TILTED. There, let that be the end of it. You know, it works folks. I do like how it looks and it works with the show. No complaints on tilted snares. I think it will grow on everyone and will like it in the end.

My big complaint would be the show ends too abruptly. I was left at the end saying, "oh, that must be the end, I guess I'll stand up and clap". As with every Cavie show, it's evolving and I'm sure it will be changed to the better in weeks to come. Just warning ya'll so you are not caught off guard in the early season.

Well, that's it. Please be advised I'm just calling it like I see it and am not trashing any corps. I have great repect in what they do. Your comments are always welcome.

My next show, today in Menomonie, WI. Until then.

DavDrums

Thanks for the review :)

There was no trashing evident that I could see

Speaking of their bass line, I noticed that one side of their drum heads were black, and then the other was white. So depending on which way they were facing, it was white heads or black heads. Not sure if this was done on purpose or a lack of heads issue, but I thought it was kind of neat seeing that. If they keep that, I would like to check how they are doing that to integrate it into the show.

They did that with the heads last year with their show and theme last year. Must be left over as I can't see it fitting with this years theme.

They did that with the heads last year with their show and theme last year. Must be left over as I can't see it fitting with this years theme.

Ok, that's good to know. I must say I wasn't getting it as to why they did it. Thanks for your reply. :)

davdrums