Cedar Rapids Review

First of all, this year’s Cedar Rapids show went smoother than last year’s. Things started promptly on time with SSB (those who were there last year will remember the audience humming the SSB before the show) and a short performance of the local All-City Drum Corps. These kids laid down some pretty good percussion lines and even featured 3 trap set players on the sideline for a short number. A great group of kids who will be a great addition to a DCI corps someday.

Capital Sound kicked off the show. They’ve come a long way from Oswego (the last time I saw them). They’ve added more guard work and finished the closer. There are still some phasing problems in the opener (Beetlejuice) that seem to stem from the keyboards rushing some of their licks. Balance is an issue in the ballad but their soloists in all numbers are doing great jobs, especially the soprano in the jazz number. The closer is a real kicking tune and just when you think they’re finished, they quietly play themselves off the field. I wasn’t expecting that and I thought it was a neat way to finish things up.

Colt Cadets were next. MY OH MY...........this is the best I’ve ever seen the Cadets this early in the season. The hornline has a really full sound and pretty well balanced throughout the show. They feature a brass octet on Carmen San Diego that really cooked. Their show is based around theme songs of spy and detective movies and TV and really entertains the audience. The drill seems to be all learned.........now the kids need to work on marching it. Like I said, this is the BEST I’ve seen these kids perform this early in the year EVER!!! Congrats!!!!

Pioneer was next. Again, things have come a long way since Oswego. The hornline is growing better every day and is starting to put out a much fuller sound........there are just a few spots that we need to hear MORE............ They’ve added a couple of horn flashes that haven’t been perfected yet and I caught a couple players moving a little too soon. The ballad will be a strong part of the show once the pit achieves the balance needed between the keyboards and the ‘african’ rhythm section.

We had to miss Blue Stars performance in order to visit our son (Pioneer baritone) before they took off for Missouri. I hope to catch up with them soon.

Following intermission, the Colts took the field. Once again, I was impressed with how well their drill writer incorporates the color guard into the show........it seems like there is just a sea of color on the field at just the right times. Music and drill are all at a high level for this early in the season. Baritone section was featured on the ballad (As Time Goes By) and, like someone once said, it sounded like a choir of Buicks playing for us.......Super blend!!!!!!!!! The drill incorporates a couple of moves that reminded me of the Cavaliers ‘Spin Cycle’ show.

Bluecoats followed. I haven’t always believed the hype about Bluecoats in the past and often haven’t really watched and listened closely when they’ve performed......but tonight I did.......and.......whoa...........what a super performance. It seems like every member of this corps understands and performs as one person. Every chord, every ‘punch’, every entrance was perfectly balanced and in tune..........there was never any one person playing above the rest (other than soloists). When it comes to playing dynamics, I think that you could take any group of players from this corps and ask them each to play any note, at any dynamic level, with any kind of attack.........and you couldn’t tell the difference between any of them...........they are THAT GOOD.

With that said.........the only thing I can see is that they can work on expanding the range of dynamics. It’s good to have ‘control’ before you expand, and they certainly have that right now. I expect this can be a top five show this year!!!!

Madison Scouts closed the show. I’ve generally been a Scouts fan, but not this year with this show. First, I was disappointed when I saw the uniform change (Green pants and white jackets). This just seemed to say to me “we’re not that good at marching, so we’re going to try to hide our inefficiencies”. Maybe that’s a smart move on their part.......the white pants and shoes make it hard to cover mistakes. Then the color guard is way over-costumed in colors that reminded me of the Conquistador show (which I didn’t like either). So, I guess that I had a bad feeling about this before they even played a note...........

I did like the music, mostly. But, where the Bluecoats were controlled and balanced, it seemed that the Scouts were just pushing too hard, and notes and chords were just a bit out of control.

Oh well..........maybe it’s just me but I don’t see the Scouts making the top ten with this show.........maybe not even finals. But that’s just my opinion.