Yamaha Trumpets

vferrera

I too started with the Yamaha 232s back in 1976. I liked it for what I played, except that the A above high C had a hump. I could come down from double C to the A but not go up from high C to the A. Had it redone, and had the tuning slide reversed. That helped. I just found a 739T large bore, and had it redone, wasn't in bad shape, but needed replating. So far it plays sweet! Haven't had the time to venture into the upper register, but so far is very solid, and the intonation is better. I love my Yamahas.

Paul

Hey Paul, good to hear from you. I'll bring my Bach to rehearsal and let you try it out. Maybe you'll like it too!

Gregg

OK, I'll try to hold back. There is a lot of buzz about Yamaha and their great quality. I don't see it.

I have a Yamaha C trumpet that is extremely sharp, not a crime - a lot of C trumpets are to compensate for a flat upper register. However several of the joints have come loose and the 1st valve finger hook just fell off one day. It wasn't like it is heavily used. I only use it for church jobs :laugh: Well, it was $350. brand new in '84.

I have an old, old Bach from 1945, that's worn out so in '93 I settled on a Blessing ML1S, because of price. It is a great horn, but not up to lead in a Jazz band. I then got a Bach Strad. 180S37*(lightweight bell). I loved it. After a couple of years it got ran over by a truck in a parking lot. Flat as a pancake.

I played other Bach's and another 37, but they weren't the same. I tried a Martin Committee large bore, couldn't see filling that thing up with air over a 3-4 hour gig, but it sounded nice. I tried a Yamaha Mike Vax. It's a poly bore horn with heavyweight valve section and lightweight bell. It plays great.

It too is falling apart. spit valve fell off. The little button thingy on the second valve slide fell off and I haven't replaced that.

the monel valves are horrible unless you keep them squeeky clean. Also the first valve slide is stiff and I can't seem to loosen it up. Probably an alignment issue. Once, someone squeezing through the section tipped my horn over and it didn't fall hard. The second valve got stuck down. UH OH, we were playing. I slowly pulled on the second valve slide assembly figuring that it might have been forced inward and while pulling ever so gently the 2nd valve popped out and has been fine ever since. WHEW! The silver plate has some flaws, but that is not a big deal. I paid $1250 about 4 years ago. Like I said it plays great, but quality, maybe they're not all like mine. I take good care of my horns too.

A friend recently bought a Holton Sandoval and loves it. Again, the monel valves are a problem on his horn. I don't like it so much, but he sounds great on it. He plays like a bull. But it is very well made. He has a Stomvi also that is very nice and I like the way it plays.

Getzen recently picked up Mike Vax as an endorsing artist and offer a Mike Vax trumpet. I would love to try that one.

That's my Yamaha experience. Good luck and have fun hunting. Don't be embarrassed about playing on a 14a4A. Some people call it a cheater. I'm sure you have the same ability on a 3C that you have on your Shilke. Those that would call it a cheater are jealous. If you're playing jazz the 3C sound won't cut it and your sound will be lost, no matter how nice it sounds.

Yamaha's quality is outstanding compared to what the old big name companies are putting out now. The new horns stamped, Conn and King for example don't stake up to the horns made by the C.G. CONN company and the H.N. White Co. I have no doubt a lot of the older equipment is a lot better then the new Yamaha horns (except for, maybe marching brass), I also have no doubt that the new Yamaha horns are better then(or maybe consistent is a better word) then the new (hmmm...could we say 'knock offs') of the classics, such as Bach, Conn, 'King', Holton, etc....

Raise The Song!

-chris