Drumlines - Execution/Difficulty

MJN

You made a lot of sense in that post - I agree with almost all of it except that the percussion feature should be MORE than 45 seconds!!!

I only suggested 45 seconds because I was thinking most designers couldn't come up with more then 45 secs!! (Exceptions to the rule would be Scott Johnson-BD; Mike McIntosh - Bluecoats; Tom Aungst - Cadets; Paul Rennick, PR -- those guys need to come up with at least 90 secs!!!).

And remember -- 45 secs is a MINIMUM!!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not meaning to say that it was easy, but in comparison to blue devils' book, bluecoats, and other top five corps' books it was indeed much easier

I definitely wouldn't say it is easy either, but saying it was "indeed much easier" :beer::huh: I don't agree.

i'm not all about hearing notes rammed. they're cool in the lot, but seem rather useless in the shows of today.

think of it this way. would you like to hear some messed up, super fast techno beat to some tchaikovsky? probably not if you're looking for a pure representation of the music.

now in some cases i will say that a little groove doesn't hurt (cavies 2000) but in something like 06 coats, in their 2nd movement (the jazz one), there's a cool jazzed up horn part in 7/4 and the battery writing just ruins it. they're ramming paradiddle/paradiddle diddle phrases and it totally doesn't fit.

the drum feature and little hornless featurette parts are where i look for the notes. but when you have the horn line blaring some huge half time push, i think it's good to keep the flam drags and chuchuttas to the drum solos. kinda gets lost and honestly has doesn't contribute much to the book.

anyone ever seen freelancers 2002 indoor show? the techno part where there is nothing but sick, sick amounts of accents and off beat phrases? THAT'S where the ram belongs. now think of cadets 05 when the drumline is going nuts behind the beautiful horn book. totally unneccesary.

just my .02

now think of cadets 05 when the drumline is going nuts behind the beautiful horn book. totally unneccesary.

just my .02

Notes in a show where they don't belong (your Cadets '05 reference well thought) is where a Perc Analysis (PA) caption would be helpful!!

I think one word can sum up everything and it isn't execution or difficulty.

It's MUSICALITY.

that's what I give credit to. Nuance. It really is the small things that matters.

I think one word can sum up everything and it isn't execution or difficulty.

It's MUSICALITY.

that's what I give credit to. Nuance. It really is the small things that matters.

Well put.... So can I assume your formula would be:

Nuance + execution + well-written book = Winning the percussion trophy??