Spanish Fantasy

strutta

Just curious as to what version (both arrangement and performance) of "Spanish Fantasy" one would consider the best ever done in drum corps?

I recently revisited 3 (semi)different versions of the tune (thank you audiogalaxy): 1994 Blue Devils, 1986 Blue Devils (with "One More Time Chuck Corea" ending) and 1978 Boston Crusaders (as part of a a medley with "Celebration Suite").

My opinion: of the 3, 94 BD (which seems a rehash of 86) was more of a tease of the song with some great soprano parts but a lot of pit accompaniment, kind of a shame considering how crankin' that line was. The 86 arrangement was more enjoyable in that it was a more complete arrangement and featured more horn parts (despite the "One More Time' finish).

1978 BAC arrangement was much more up tempo. Spanish Fantasy was at the end of a 'concert' medley (remember "concert"), and offered some very nice soprano features. Performance-wise the line was small but did a great job of selling the tune. (Would LOVE to hear a BD line play that Celebration Suite/Spanish Fantasy chart!)

I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Also, let me know if anyone else played it!

Gracias!

StruttaLove