GOLDEN EMPIRE PERFORMING ARTS

Thank you flammaster! :) the world needs more drum corps!

Thank you Northern Thunder! :) it's amazing for what all drum corps do to even exist. The best thing fans of drum corps could do is simply be supportive of any and all drum corps, brand new or old. Drum corps is so special to the world.

I think it's cool that we are the "Golden State" and will now have 2 corps with that name in their title. Not a lot of talk about Gold Drum and Bugle Corps here out of Oceanside, but I am really hoping they do well in the future too!

I hope new drum corps start popping up as well as inactive corps coming back. There were some new faces this summer and I think that is awesome!

Just throwing this out there...

Instead of starting with kids that are really old enough to compete, why not focus on kids 6-10 years old and growing a very local program over the next 10 years.

If you can retain those kids while building up the financial base, you will have an incredible group 10 years down the road.

Unless you have a highly unique financial situation (able to create a SUSTAINABLE revenue stream that will predictably generate min $500k+ per year), you will not be able to create a competitive program any faster than this.... so, why even start with older kids?

Very cool that you are wanting to create a new group... but would advise to take it extremely slow and steady and focus on creating a program for younger kids first that would later split into more than one group (younger kids and older) to have a steady local feeder program.

Back in the 80's, Bakersfield HAD a summer youth band program called the Golden Empire Suns. It wasn't a field show band - mainly parade/concert, and it had young kids. They had a hand in hosting the Golden Empire Classic drum & bugle corps shows that were held in Memorial Stadium at Bakersfield College. I can see this as a "rekindling" in a bigger way.

I "think" I know at least one person with a hand in it, and if he has the foundation, they could pull it off.

1st. This drum corps is being ran by amazing people.

2nd. The website is temporary to gather interest.

3rd. The only reason I posted this was to share a positive start to a long awaited group.

4th. More details will be coming soon.

All drum corps had to start somewhere. It takes years to establish a program and this will be Golden Empires first year. Be supportive and understand that this drum corps is in fact brand new and under the direction of very smart and talented people. Thank you

let me voice my concerns more specifically then:

1. I'm glad the people are amazing. Drum corps is full of lots of young, ambitious, amazing, dedicated people. So, if the people are amazing their names should be all over that website. Names and biographies lend credibility. Anonymity is a red flag. Nobody has taken public responsibility for this organization. Also a red flag.

2. The website asks interested potential members to divulge their name, address and phone number. The website does not offer its own names, addresses or phone number(s) to those who are filling out the form. As a parent and educator, I find this troubling.

3. I'm glad you shared the information about GE. I'm simply pointing out why I think that GE Performing Arts needs to be much more up front about who is running it and how to contact them other than an anonymous "contact@" email address or a web form.

4. More details coming soon is good. However, more details - even just basic ones like a director or coordinator and a phone number - should have been provided before asking people to give up their own information.

(edited to add: when I say addresses regarding GE, I mean physical corps office address or a PO box, not home addresses of people associated with GE. Upon a re-read I realized that was ambiguous)

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 7

Territroop,

More info is coming soon. Be patient. It's a matter of days until the full website will be launched. Everything you want to know will be announced very soon. Remember, the website that is here is only helping GE gather basic info on interested membership. It helps us understand the possible numbers to expect for auditions. I will say that the interest is already very high in kern county! That Is a wonderful thing! I assure you that GE is real. No need for red flags unless it's for Color guard.

Sincerely,

Nick Rodriguez

I'm thrilled about this, but perhaps the big reveal should wait until there is a more complete website...

I'd love to see DCI more directly involved in corps startup activities. Even if the corps are not going to join the tour right away, DCI could do some pre-vetting and provide some guidelines for soliciting for interest to help ensure people don't get scammed.

Also, just a tip, it doesn't build confidence when your website is hosted on a free provider like Weebly...

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

I'm thrilled about this, but perhaps the big reveal should wait until there is a more complete website...

I'd love to see DCI more directly involved in corps startup activities. Even if the corps are not going to join the tour right away, DCI could do some pre-vetting and provide some guidelines for soliciting for interest to help ensure people don't get scammed.

Also, just a tip, it doesn't build confidence when your website is hosted on a free provider like Weebly...

All valid concerns. This is not the official website. This is a temporary site to help spread the word to interested marchers. The info requested is basic. It's purely for getting an idea of the interest. An official site will be launched soon.

I am all for another drum corps! There are some great models on the West Coast (including NW) for Open Class corps that have sustainable prudent budgets,who provide great drum corps experiences for it's members. I envy your location being between accessible shows in both Northern or Southern California.

Edited by Mike78Mello