DCI St. Louis

I've never done a review before, but here goes.

Open Class

Music City was the only open class corps of the night, and naturally got first place, with a score of 66.800.

I haven't been to a show in a while, and I haven't seen Open Class corps in a long time. Whenever I did, I always thought they were pretty good, but it was apparent as to why they are in Open Class and not World Class. This was not the case with Music City. To put it simply, I was blown away. Sure, they weren't the greatest marchers (but far from the worst I've ever seen), but they had a very impressive sound. I suppose a full hornline helps.

Their program "Let's Dance" was extremely fun and entertaining. It was pretty much a toe-tapper the whole way through.

As I understand it from several audience members, this was their first show of the season. They could have fooled me. They performed very well.

World Class

Pioneer is celebrating their 50th Anniversary with their program, "Celebrate." They got 7th Place in the World Class division with a score of 62.450.

I don't think what I'm about to say is news to anyone: they are hideously small this year. It's really a shame, especially since they're hitting the big 50 this year. However, despite their small size, they packed quite a punch. They sounded a lot bigger than they actually were. A LOT bigger.

The show didn't really enthrall me, personally. I wanted to like the show, but I just couldn't get into it. My loss, I suppose.

The Cascades are sporting a new look this year. They have a very vibrant neon-green plume, and a vibrant green uniform that fades into a lighter shade of green as you go up the jacket.

"Pandora, a Dark Gift" was, in a word, creepy. The premise was very easy to follow (thanks to the big orange box in the middle). The yellow cubes didn't do a whole lot for me, but I think the overall visual design wouldn't look right without them, so I wont complain.

This show was pretty good, and I'd say was rightfully placed 6th, with a score of 68.050.

While many will disagree, I really like the Blue Stars uniform. Sure, it doesn't have a ton of blue, but they make it work.

"ReBourne" was one of my favorite shows of the night, and they may have had the loudest hornline there.

The crowd really loved this show. The Blue Stars really know how to crank the "wow" factor to unimaginable heights. The last time I saw these guys live was in 2005...all I have to say is, "WOW!"

The Blue Stars got 5th Place with a score of 78.700. I'm really not sure why they are as low as they are...I guess that's why I'm not one of the guys in green.

I've been to many live DCI shows, but never have I had the privilege of seeing the Santa Clara Vanguard live. Needless to say, that was quite a treat.

"The Devil's Staircase" isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it sure was mine. It's loud, fast, menacing, and it follows the essential KISS* rule. They aren't getting too artsy with it, thereby making it easy enough for Joe Schmo Drum Corps fan to understand. What's not to get? You're in hell, and you're trying to get out.

I loved the cymbal "V" and the classic "viper." I really have nothing else to add. It was a great show, and well deserving of their 4th place finish, with a solid 82.000.

Phantom Regiment is, and always has been one of my favorites. How can they not be? Phantom Regiment just has a way with the audience. It's hard not to like them.

While the Blue Stars arguably were the loudest, Phantom Regiment was the most musical (big surprise), and pretty freakin' loud.

"Juliet" isn't my favorite Regiment show, but I like it. The music is outstanding, and the drill is a big step up from last year.

The only problem I have with "Juliet" is that I'm really not getting the whole "Romeo & Juliet" thing out of it. I can kind of tell what's going on, but that's probably partly because I know the original story pretty well. Am I the only one with this problem? Please let me know if I'm alone or not.

Overall, I guess 3rd place with an 84.900 is pretty fair, although I personally would have put them in 2nd.

Carolina Crown got 2nd place with a score of 87.550.

I'm going to be honest with you all. I don't like "Rach Star." I really like Carolina Crown, but this show really isn't doing it for me.

I saw this show in the theater at the Tour Premiere, and wasn't all that impressed. It was probably my least favorite show of the evening then, and it was one of my least favorites again at DCI St. Louis.

I'm not going to say that the concept doesn't work. A lot of people don't realize that Rachmaninoff was actually pretty contemporary, and the concept works rather well. I just don't like it.

However, this show was very well performed musically and visually, which is something that we've come to expect from Crown.

And the champion of the night, with a score of 88.500, The Cavaliers!

I'll just tell you right now, I'm a big Cavies fan. They're the reason I was hooked on DCI in the first place, and have since been my all-time favorite corps.

"XtraordinarY" is exactly that. Extraordinary. You can make the argument that they are using too much of the electronics, but it really didn't bother me that much. They weren't replacing anything, they were just adding to an already fabulous product.

We say this every year, "Michael Gaines has done it again." That man writes exceptional drill, and has yet to disappoint me.

My favorite aspect of this show was the use of Bach's "Fugue in G Minor." When I heard they were using it, I thought it was a strange choice. But, they jazzed it up and it sounded less creepy, and more extraordinary.

It was obvious why they won that night, and it's obvious why they've been winning all season. They have really kicked it up a notch, and I didn't even think it was possible.

For my first live show in a long time, I had an absolute blast. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds at Finals.

*For those of you that don't know, "KISS" is an acronym for "keep it simple, stupid."

• Like 2