AHH What to do...

Ahhh, memories. Well you asked, so here's here's how we did it..... years ago but feels like yesterday -

In a sentence - We stuck to the game plan.

After a year of complaining that our kids were rude and unfocused, we implemented a code of conduct and outlined the progression of punishment. ...And - I'm not going to lie to you -

We lost kids, ....they quit. They failed to meet the grade requirements. Some were even asked to leave. We fought parents, we battled history.

All along, we asked support of the school administrators. Of course - they offered their support to us as staff - after all, we were enforcing behavioral standards and good grades. And, in the end - we won. At the time, we were an "A" level guard program, like most high schools.

We lived through the transition year(s) - we were more successful for it in the long run too - even "placement wise."

Years later, we have built a world class program whereby no one, and I NO ONE, disrespects the instructors or they are sent home. If a formal apology doesn't ensue - they know not to show up to the gym on Monday night. It's strike one on the code... and depending on the severity of their behavior - they are gone. They don't talk when we are talking, they move quickly from one thing to the next, they trust us when we tell them we are going to work on something (over and over) for the betterment of the program. If they don't like - there's the door. I'm not saying it's perfect and we never have incidents - they are teenagers for God's sake - but you believe if it's once a season, it's a lot.

It's not easy. And I don't mean to make it sound so. But is it any harder than coming into a gym night after night and working with kids you feel don't deserve to be there - or don't want to be there - or as you like to say - "just don't seem to get it?" Ugh, painful. I'd rather take my lumps for a few years and work with a TINY guard of kids who LOVE to be there and work hard all the time.

I remember being scared to lose kids.... and I remember actually LOSING them. And I remember after one season of a small gym full of really nice, hardworking kids thinking, "I would rather come in dead last with these kids than win with the others."

In time, the discipline and expectations has attracted better, finer athletes to the program. It has caught on - it's taken more seriously from the district and blossomed into several junior and cadet level programs at the school. And we demand that the students at those levels be held to the same standards.... and now, by the time they reach us at the World Class level - they just know better. But BELIEVE ME, ....we have been there. We have ALL been there. I encourage you to do whatever it takes to show a no tolerance policy. I don't believe we would have ever built up this program had we not decided years ago to simply not tolerate anything but the best from our students.

Good luck....

OK THAT WAS HARSH...SORRY....LOL..BUT TRUE...DONT BE AFRAID OF A SMALL GUARD THEY WILL GET MORE OUT OF IT WITHOUT THOSE OTHERS...ANS SO WILL YOUR STAFF LET THE SO CALLED DIVAS GO...SOMETIMES ALL IT TAKES IS TO MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF ONE OF THEM AND IT CHANGES

No problem, I totally agree!

Believe me when I tell you I have done just that! Lost two of my strongest members because of it. One of them came back this past season, asking permission if she could return her Senior year.

I laid down the ground rules with her. Told her it was going to be a decision we will all make, my girls included. Reason being she quit with her girlfriend in December two seasons ago. Three weeks before our first competition. Need I say more!

She came back this past season and was an outstanding member! No drama, lost her Diva attitude and everything. I was amazed at her attitude adjustment.

Fast forward ................ she was the perfect example. Do you think the rest of my girls followed her example? Not a one. They only members who did and knew of the past incidences were my captains. The majority were new, give or take a year or two.

My captains welcomed her back with opened arms and they acted as if nothing happened. They all joined the guard together in their Freshman year. It was wonderful to see them together again!

Together they attempted to get the other girls to understand the commitment and the dedication. Some came around but on the most part it was like ......whatever! Don't get me wrong. We had a pretty successful season. Didn't turn out the way we were expecting it to or wanted it to. Overall it was okay.

So, like I said before ........ the commitment, the dedication seems to missing. All of these wonderful suggestions are great! But are they really the solutions when it comes down to commitment and dedication issues?

Bounce that around for awhile!

LOL

Edited by epwtrguard05

Kids will behave the way you let them behave.

You need to set strict guidelines from teh beginning and follow up on them. Even if your captain or officers or whatever are the ones breaking the rules-- you need to show that inappropriate behavior/language/etc. will not be tolerated.

However...and I've made this mistake in the past as well, you can't come into a program and try to "gently transition" the kids from one work ethic into another. You need to be firm from the beginning.

As for your current problems-- I suggest letting everyone know that they must (re)audition and what will be counted: attitude, rehearsal etiquette, etc. Kick out the ones who were problems, even if they're your better spinners. You'll be better off and happier without them around. And the new kids won't be influenced by their improper behavior and/or attitudes.

As someone else said would you rather look at the group and think "Why do I put up with this?" or do you think "I love this group. they work so hard and it's a pleasure to come to rehearsal most days."

My first year at school X I came in and taught totally differently than the kids had ever known. A lot of them quit because I said These behaviors are not accepted: You will not talk back, you will not roll you eyes at me or anyone else, and you will not say anything negative about anyone else in this guard while in the presence of anyone else in the guard or you are gone.

Started with 40 kids, ended up with 24 by the beginning of band camp, ended up with 18 by the end of band camp. Next year, we had 24 in the guard. The year after that, 28...First year we had 9 in indoor, the next year we had 16 in A class and 6 in our "novice" indoor. And every one of them worked hard and didn't talk back or dealt with the consequences. Everyone of them was happy with their growth as performers, and some went on to Independent guards after graduation saying "I would never have thought I could do this before I had you as an instructor."

That's some powerful stuff right there. Because we set expectations and stuck to them. The kids did the rest.

I totally agree with all of you!

I do and have always done exactly what all of you are suggesting. I have kicked members off and have dealt with the consequences of losing strong members, due to the "attitude problems".

My girls don't have an "attitude problem", towards their instructors, other members etc. It's not a "behavioral issue". They know that will be not be tolerated. They come to rehearsal to work and they do.

What I'm trying to say and I hope this makes sense, is they make the commitment and dedicate themselves to the guard ........... but not to the actvity? Make sense?

That is what I mean by a "carefree/whatever attitude". They just don't get it! They love the sport, they love the show, the competition, love, love, love but .............

It's just another "activity" they are involved with. I don't believe this is considered a "behavioral problem".

Is there a solution? How can it be fixed?

Now ................. bounce that around!

LOL

I have to admit - I'm a little confused, ....if they don't have behavior problems, always show up and do what they are told, work hard, and are dedicated.... sounds like you don't have a problem really. Is is that you want more passion from them?

You can't make a kid feel passionate about a sport - they either do or they don't. But if they're not causing a problem, doing their work and showing up every night.... I don't see what the problem is really. As long as their "whatever" attitude doesn't manifest in ways that are a distraction to the guard or your progress. If that is happening, ...well, than that IS a behavioral problem that needs to be addressed. Are they chatty? Do they not move fast between exercises? What is it that specifically makes you think they don't care - maybe if you can identify the specific issues, you can combat them. BUt it sounds to me like you maybe you do have bahavior issues, ....even if they are not the more blatant kind.

But backtracking.... If you have a kid(s) that comes in and does what you ask of them but doesn't "eat breathe and sleep" guard.... well, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to force a love of the activity onto them. However, my personal experience has been that it's all cyclical....

Outline a code of conduct, stick to it. An environment of positive work ethic eventually ensues. THEN, ....you start attracting better athletes, more motivated, focused. And finally, ....you typically start becoming more successful. And NOTHING breeds passion like success. It's a long process and the ones that have to work the hardest are not the kids..... it's the coaches.

Anyone interested in a code of conduct should leave their address and I'll send it to you in a personal email.

Passion, that's the word!

Years ago my kids did eat, sleep and breath color guard. They had this "fire" about them. Over the past few years that "fire" has become more of a spark. I want that "fire" back. I wonder if there is something that can be done to bring it back? Something we as staff can do?

From a design stand point, every year is fresh and new! They are always being challenged and they step up to meet the challenge every year. They love everything we throw at them, music, show, costumes, work etc. It's when it falls short of expectations. It seems to disappoint them to a certain degree but ....... not enough.

I don't expect them to jump off a bridge but sometimes I think, we as a staff get more disappointed then my girls. They do what is expected and do it well. I feel they're cheating themselves but they seem to be content with that. They push and push until they get to a point. They sit back and say .............. okay we're there.

Does that make more sense?