Essay topics

In Charge

This year my students who recive demerits for breaking our handbook rules will be required to write a two page essay. I have several topics but I need a few more any sugestions? Here are the topics I have so far for them to choice from:

Why does missing rehearsal hurt me?

How missing rehearsal hurts my team.

Why do I want to be in Color Guard?

The history of Color Guard

What is team work? Why is it important in Color Guard?

How is Marching Band Color Guard different then ROTC Color Guard?

What are the purpose of fundraisers? What are some fundraising ideas?

What is the importance of good nutrition and healthy eating habits for Color Guard Members?

Who is Dr. William Revelli? Why is he an important part of our bands history?

The History of WGI (Winter Guard International)

Explain why Color Guard is called “The sport of the Arts”

What are your strengths and weakness in Color Guard. What can you do to improve your weaknesses?

Reason why some should join Color Guard.

How has being in the Color Guard changed you?

Those are great topics. I don't think you need any more! You can always repeat some with different members. Hopefully you won't have to use that many!

Those are great topics. I don't think you need any more! You can always repeat some with different members. Hopefully you won't have to use that many!

The only problem I have (as a former writing/English teacher) is that you are using writing as a form of punishment. What about running laps/conditioning type things that will improve their health overall? Of course, then you are using physical activity as a punishment as well. Can you dock their grades and/or require detentions, keep them out of shows, etc.?

Edited by quegrawks

Guard is not a class at our school so I can not dock grades. Last year they had to work them off but that means I have to take time out of my life to supervise. I work full time so I do not have time to sit at the school for an hour for them to work it off. This was the best thing I could come up with. I am hoping with the topics I have they will be learning more about guard.

Do you have a group of kids who are highly likely to break the rules? I am rethinking my original response now! Maybe instead of having them write when they break the rules, just have the whole group write on one of those topics periodically throughout the season. That will help the entire guard learn more about the activity, instead of just one or two kids. Try setting up a system for the demerit consequences, like 1-2 demerits: clean the guard room and phone call to parents, 3-5: parental conference with you and the student present, 6-8 demerits: removal from next show, 9-12: removal from guard altogether.

I don't know if the system will work for you, they have worked for me in the classroom. The consequences are up to you.

My kids have broken the rules a lot less after I added in the demerit system. Most of the time it's for small things chewing gum and what not. Last year I did have them work it off buy cleaning the guard room ect but I have to be present for stuff like that and why should I be punished too? I have very little free time and would rather spend it at home with my hubby then watching kids clean out the guard room. Also many of my kids also have jobs and trying to pick a day and time we could both come in was not easy. I also feel they would learn more writting an essay then cleaning up the room or stamping music for the band director.