Div II/III Prelims Review with Pictures

Velvet Knights - Warm up included a bit of the Bottle Dance and set the stage for a fun show. The contras playing through trash cans was great. Their sound system was late showing up. Since it was VK I thought it might be a joke but they really were late. Might have flustered them a little. At one point some horn players played cymbals and the drum line did some guard work.

div23-281.jpg

Impulse - Playing music from Final Fantasy, the pit captured my attention from the start. They were really groving with the music, lots of smiles, some dancing and even a back flip. Vocal mic didn't work. Great bass feature.

div23-332.jpg

Oregon Crusaders - Really made use of the field as seems typical with this corps. Big props. Nice stick work in the snare feature.

div23-355.jpg

Revolution - One of the few corps I had seen before today. The show has really come a long way since Denton. Strong in all captions, I really enjoy watching their guard.

div23-386.jpg

Dutch Boy - Second viewing of this corps but Belding was a long time ago. The 2007 Space Odyssey theme included a count down to launch as the corps makes a rocket on the field. Great fire flags really make the rocket work. Some excellent two sided black/grey flag work.

div23-406.jpg

Fever - The show is called Ride. Someone said earlier in the day that Fever was on fire. Pun not withstanding, they were. Definitely the top corps to this point. Great sound, great guard work.

div23-456.jpg

Yokohama Scouts - Nice to see this corps make the trip from Japan. Competing in the International Division. Big sound. Big drum line - 7 snare, 6 bass drum, 4 tenors, 7 cymbals. Show made use of To Tame The Perilous Skies by Holsinger. They march very well.

div23-472.jpg

Memphis Sound - Start their show with some nice ensemble singing which fits the Harmonic Voices theme well. Great volume control - dynamics the best of the day. Great quality of sound at low volumes. Very expressive guard with nice equipment work.

div23-531.jpg