Non brass players needs listening advise

RIHA

I love to hear screaming trumpets and driving brass but I am not a fan of true jazz. I of course have some Maynard Furgeson but I am looking for something more. I have listened to samples of Phil Driscoll but he appears to be singing 90 precent of the time. If you know of tunes or albums where he plays more I would love to get them from itunes. I have Googled other players but they all seem to play the same or similar stuff as is on the Maynard cds. I really don't care to hear a lot of guitar or flute solos. To be honest one of my favorite things to listen to is my cd of Blast. It has all brass with studio type percussion with it. I have some Bergeron (forgot is his first name) but I guess I would like something more commercial. I am a dumb drummer and need straight forward arrangements. Any suggestions?

More commercial than Bergeron? Try listening to Allen Vizzuti. Not commercial, but if you want someone who can play high and sound different than Maynard, I think he would fit the bill. Also, he'll give you a taste of classical high notes as well as jazz.

Thanks for the response. I did take a listen to samples on itunes but I don't think classical is the way I want to go. Maybe if I list my favorite MF tunes it would give you a better idea of what I like.

Give it One

Chameleon

Gospel John

Primal scream

These all have melodies you can remember which I don't find from the Bergeron stuff. I guess I'm a low brow consumer. The listed tunes are in your face brass. Others may see them as obnoxious but I think they are great. The begining of Give it One is my favorite thing to hear.

If you want a big brass sound with some screaming (and also a lot of skill throughout the group) get hold of any Stan Kenton stuff. I love the trombone sound in that group! He's also had a few GREAT lead trumpets, awesome sax soloists, incredible drummers, and in some recordings, mellophoniums or [French] horns.

If you want a big brass sound with some screaming (and also a lot of skill throughout the group) get hold of any Stan Kenton stuff. I love the trombone sound in that group! He's also had a few GREAT lead trumpets, awesome sax soloists, incredible drummers, and in some recordings, mellophoniums or [French] horns.

Yeah seriously, or any Duke Ellington recording where Cat Anderson was with the group.

Chase, as in Bill

www.amazon.com/Chase/dp/B000002R4Z

Edited by kalijah

Here are a couple of links on youtube that you will really want to see

This video show cases the many talents that Maynard had on stage throughout his years.

The Soloist are Eric Myroshiro Wayne Bergeron and Patrick Hessions.If you really want to find out more about them,,go over the the Maynard Ferguson Forum.

This next cat is Derek Watkins.A amazing player.Be sure to check out more of his videos over on the daily motion site.

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/138238/...y-now-vcd_music

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...orchestra_music

And finally,,the greatest trumpet player ever

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/149299/...ve-it-one_music

BTW if that video of the Maynard Ferguson tribute concert lights a fire under you,,,,wander over to http://www.maynardferguson.com/merchandise_music.htm#DVD and pick up a copy.Its loaded with a bunch of Maynards charts over the years.Not only will you see the above mentioned trumpet players but you will find on there

Roger Ingram who is a monster all by himself.

Stan Mark who was Maynards Lead player for years

and a host of others.

Ohh yeah,,forgot to mention check out Tower or Power.Lots of good mix of Jazz and commercial stuff.

Can't go wrong with the Big Phat Band stuff too.Great stuff.