We're going to Indianapolis!

You are correct. My personal opinion is that this specific change is not a particularly good one for the ticket buying public.

And I appreciate your opinion. But I should also point out that we don't know the specifics of the ticket package yet.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least some of the II/III shows will be in the main venue, and tickets will be offered as a package with the DI tickets. (At least that's how I interpret the FANtastic 5 package based on the site) I'd say that aspect is an improvement over this year.

On an unrelated note, is corps amplification a consideration in the acoustic design plans of the stadium?

Edited by stifled4mallettechnique

On an unrelated note, is corps amplification a consideration in the acoustic design plans of the stadium?

Thought the stadium was being built FOR DCI..... just assumed they would have thought of that... then again..... .:(

Thought the stadium was being built FOR DCI..... just assumed they would have thought of that... then again..... .:(

Well, I meant something along the lines or the stadium being wired up to provide the PA, future spotlight additions, etc., not just overall acoustics and the backdrop.

Sheesh, double sheesh and triple sheesh. Did I say that? Did I even infer it? Was I even thinking that...even a single brain cell of my being?

Again, here's what I said. <<DCI is always trying to improve on things and because something has always been done one way is never a sign that it should always be done that way. Just my personal opinion>>

If DCI hadn't tried improving on things over the years, we'd still have the following: (I realize some would consider some of these preferable, but hey...)

No pit. In fact, let's go back to before 1974 and get rid of the mallets entirely. How about a few more years and have no timpani?

Everything used on the field would have to be carrying on the field and never set on the ground.

No costuming.

Everyone would have to to an opener, a drum solo, an "into concert," a concert, an "out of concert," another drum solo (creative people could switch the last two), a closer and a reprise tag.

All corps would have to enter from the left side of the field and end in the right side. If we allowed things to advance a couple years, we could enter from the back, but we COULDN'T start on the field.

Tempos would be approximately 120 beats-per-minute.

There would be one class for all corps.

There would be no regionals. Everyone would show up just for DCI Worlds. If you wanted to see all the top corps, you'd have to go to Worlds as it was in the earliest years of DCI.

No dance allowed.

Guards would wear the same uniform as the rest of the corps.

Shows would still be a couple minutes longer.

No Internet ticket sales.

Forget about charging your tickets.

Only a couple corps would have food trucks. Everyone else could eat doughnuts off the equipment truck for breakfast. Hey, it was good enough for the corps I marched in during the mid-1970s.

No DCI shirts. No one would buy one anyhow so why make them?

Same goes for recordings. In fact, we'd have no DVDs of our historic shows because PBS would not have come on board in 1975 to record the shows for our posterity. Hey, it was good enough for 1972, 1973 and 1974. Why did 1975 have to be recorded?

No Quarterfinals broadcast in the theaters. In fact, there would be no Quartersfinals. We would just have prelims and finals. No one's going to show up for three shows, anyhow.

I could go on and on and on but instead I'm going to the gym and work off the aggression I now feel. Arrrrrrrgh. Take that, you barbells!

My apologies if your post was facetious. If so, a smiley would have helped. And if so, here's mine. :)

Peace.

Mike:

Sorry, buddy ... your rant is a bit off-base, a lot of your facts are wrong, and your speculation about the direction the activity would have gone is, well, very speculative.

DCI was formed with the primary goals of unifying, and providing a higher-quality level of judging and better appearance fees for the corps. It was designed to be a facilitator.

The pit is still an arguable contribution ... While carrying bells and timps was bad (and the timp voice has been replaced by tuned bass lines), the pit quickly got out-of-hand, dramatically increasing the cost of fielding a corps. Don't get me wrong, I like pits, but wouldn't count them as a major accompishment for DCI ... After all, it was the judges, instructors and managers that made the decision, not Don Pesceone.

There was costuming prior to DCI ... Ala Madison's "Alice in Wonderland Show". It was there, not as prevalent, but it was there.

The 120bpm deal went out in '72, and wasn't a DCI innovation ... Comments about show structure, etc., are wildy speculative because nobody knows how the corps might have developed without the DCI movement.

As for no regionals, well, no, not as such. There were, however a lot of independent shows that were HUGE: The World Open, The CYO Nationals, The Key to the Sea, The US Open, The National Dream Contest, to name a few. Independent shows operated, publicized and paid for by the sponsoring organizations with no allegiance to DCI (in the beginning.) This is what I call free market diversity ... Something that is missing today, and that I bemoan whenever paying "special handling fees" on each ticket in my order from DCI.

I suspect there would be Internet ticket sales ... DCI didn't invent the Internet (Al Gore did :music: ), online ordering or credit cards. It would have happened anyway.

Many corps wouldn't have food trucks, because many corps would stay in their own regions for most of the summer, traveling to only the major shows ... They wouldn't need them. Touring corps, like Troopers and Santa Clara, had their riggs pre-DCI. Moreover there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of more corps before DCI. A lot of them were smaller, and made affordable buy the option of local-circuit competition (anyone remember the Long Island Circuit or the Greater New York Circuit?)

I never bought a DCI shirt, so this one is lost on me ... I buy corps shirts, but never really got behind the DCI brand as must have fashion-ware.

As for recordings, there were actually a lot more recordings made pre-DCI then there are now ... and from a variety of vendors. Fleetwood was a biggie, but there were a number of others ... Drum Corps recording dates back as far as the 1890s, and you can easily find "modern" corps recordings going back to the 1940s. Also, there were a lot more "special event" recordings (Evening with the Corps from Carnegie Hall, etc.) DVDs would also have evolved and, for your information, DCI 1974 was videotaped and PBS also did a special with the Blue Stars and Scouts that year.

The Quarterfinals comment is also highly speculative ... You don't know what types of content venues would have evolved independant of DCI. As for no Quarterfinals itself ... Well, back in the day we didn't need quarterfinals. You had Class B and all girl prelims/finals, and Open Prelims took up to three days ... In 1978 there were something like 65 corps competing in prelims and it lasted two days.

I understand you wanting to support your employer, and DCI has done a lot of good stuff over the years that the activity is the better for, I'm just not buying into the points you made.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

HasBeen:

My whole point was that things change, period. Nothing more than that. No grand conspiracy or anything that usually gets thrown out to prove that DCI is trying to take over the known universe...just that things change.

I didn't mean to imply that all those things were due to the existence of DCI. Stuff like costuming (Madison's "Alice in Wonderland" in 1971, Cavaliers' clown the same year) preceded DCI, but in general, such things were not encouraged (nor were the instructors encouraged to think too far outside the box) until the corps took over their own destiny.

And while you're trying to ruin a perfectly good rant, I thought of another thing to add while at the gym...horns that have more than just a valve and rotor (and going back beyond that...oh, never mind).

Quadruple sheesh. Someone just come up with a sheesh smilie.

Edited by Michael Boo

So I just went to check out Marriott hotels in Indianapolis for finals....the website is showing none of the downtown hotels are available!
DCI has blocks at some of these. Often it is better to book housing threw them. people got a complete joke of a rate at the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena.

DCI has blocks at some of these. Often it is better to book housing threw them. people got a complete joke of a rate at the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena.

What was the Rizt Carlton rate? Did it come with foot rubs?