EXCELSIOR Brass Musicians Workshop

As announced earlier this month, EXCELSIOR drum and bugle corps will host a Brass Workshop for any and all Brass Musicians. Aimed at High School and Collegiate level musicians, the workshop is open to all with the hope that many drum corps veterans will attend as well.

Featured Instructor for the workshop will be Joe Pero Jr. with additional instructors to assist and offer their expertise as well.

The date is set for November 18th.

The location is set to be on the campus of RPI, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, West Hall Auditiorium in Troy NY.

The event will be co-sponsored by Excelsior Visual and Performing Arts Association and Northeast Music, Inc. of Latham NY.

The fee for the event will be $25

The event will be from 12 noon to 5pm

The participant concert will be at 5:30pm for friends and family of the participants.

Lunch will be provided at no additional cost.

If you are a Brass Musician, we encourage you to attend. Something for everyone, no matter your level or experience.

The music and workshop will be for both Bb and G keyed horns and participant are encouraged to bring their own instruments.

Pre-registration is required.

Please pre-register online at www.EVPAA.org

This site has been created to allow participants to register and pay using Pay-Pal all online.

Truly exciting!

With the interest in this event growing rapidly, I have been asked to also open a dialog for any additional instructor who may wish to help with this event. Compensation available.

With Joe Pero Jr as the lead instructor for the workshop, we have already had conversations with two other extremely qualified individuals to assist, but I have been asked to post this and with that, I now open the dialog. Please use the PM function to contact me on this, or you can always contact Excelsior director at director@excelsiordrumcorps.org

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Folks:

This Just In......

As announced earlier, additional staff will be on hand for our Brass Musicians Workshop.

Mr. Anthony Giles will be assisting Mr. Joe Pero Jr. for this intensive one day workshop.

Anthony has a wealth of knowledge specific to the low brass arena and comes to EXCELSIOR visual and performing arts association with an incredible resume.

Anthony earned his Bachelors of Music degree from Michigan State University and his Masters of Music degree from the Julliard School in New York City.

Anthonys teaching credentials include being appointed Professor of Trombone and Tuba at Conservatorio de Musica de Oviedo in Oviedo, Spain and Department head of Brass Music at Roane State College in Harriman, Tennessee.

Anthony was also a visiting artist/clinician in the Detroit Public School system in Detriot, Michigan.

Anthonys performance experience include:

Key West Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, Spokane Symphony Orchestra, Orquesta del Principado de Asturias, American Wind Symphony Orchestra

European Tour, Michigan State University Symphonic Band, American Wind Symphony Orchestra, Tommy Dorsey Big Band,

Mel Lewis Big Band Village Vanguard, Soloist: Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, Visiting Artist: Detroit Public School System, Soloist: Detroit Symphony Civic Orchestra, Albany Symphony Orchestra, Hartford Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (recorded “Fountains of Rome”), The Juilliard Orchestra (recorded “Casey at the Bat”), West Virginia Symphony and the Aretha Franklin Band.

We are thrilled to have Mr. Giles on hand to assist with this Brass Musicians Workshop. This workshop is open to all Brass Musicians regardless of your drum corps affliations and is also open to both Bb and G horns. All attendants are encouraged to bring their own horns and pre-registration is required on www.EVPAA.org.

This is a workshop that anyone within a 100 mile radius will not want to miss!

We promise not to try to recruit you....(fingers crossed!) I guess that is to be expected though, right? However, the pitch will be short and sweet and the focus of the day will be on Brass Technique and the continued encouragement of all brass players who attend and NOT recruiting. That I can promise.

However, any attendee who does become a marching member of EXCELSIOR for the 2008 season will have 100% of the fee for the Brass Musicians Workshop applied to their membership dues.

Hope to see you there!

Edited by Excelsior PR Manager

This is such a great opportunity to have such talent teaching the young and old musicians of the world. I always enjoy when Joey comes and instructs our horn line as we have improved 10 fold and will continue to grow and build with his expertise.

Its great to be a member of Excelsior Drum and Bugle corps at this time !!

Keep watching for further announcments the big one is yet to come!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Best of Luck, Excelsior!!!

Thanks Greg - Things went really great ! - Joey developed a technique book that's a keeper !!!

We are very excited for the corps - and its growth

Thanks again for the well wishes

Thanks Greg - Things went really great ! - Joey developed a technique book that's a keeper !!!

We are very excited for the corps - and its growth

Thanks again for the well wishes

Great Workshop this weekend from Joey and Tony. I guess I didn't truly know what to expect going in, but at the conclusion of the day, it was apparent that this Brass section is in for a great year.

Posture, Sound quality, tone, breathing, fingering, resonance, dynamics, and intensity vs. finesse. It was like a five hour master-class on drum corps brass!

I look forward to next years workshop already!