Flugal Bugle.

Kansan

Well, boss, I figured to treat it much like everything--have it play what I think it needs to be playin'. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I figure I'll end up adding a line on the score just for it--should it be "FL1" or just "FL"?--and write it to fit wherever I think it works best, whether mirroring a mello part, a soprano part, or playing a solo. I don't expect to write its part any higher than a mello part, so we may want to group it with mellos just for the heckuvit.

TAFL

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm a little hazy on this but I think I remember the Flugals between the 3rd sops and the mellos in the Sky Ryder Horn Arc.

Kansan

I 'd see it more as a mellophone substitute , or as a solo instrument.

Or, as a doubling instrument for the whole sop section - for effect on a ballad, etc..

I've been in situations where we used them as third sops/trumpets, and I just don't think they cut through enough.

I would want my third part to be as bright as the first, and the lower part already has more difficulty cutting through, as it is (IMHO).

That said, I LOVE the fluglehorn as a solo or full section instrument!

Edited by brassomaniac

I 'd see it more as a mellophone substitute , or as a solo instrument.

Or, as a doubling instrument for the whole sop section - for effect on a ballad, etc..

I've been in situations where we used them as third sops/trumpets, and I just don't think they cut through enough.

I would want my third part to be as bright as the first, and the lower part already has more difficulty cutting through, as it is (IMHO).

I agree and you beat me to it. I was going to mention the same things.

When we get to the point where we can buy the horns we want, I'd love to have a good variety of horn sounds, so I'd want a section to use alongside the mellos.

TAFL

Powerball dreams....

When we get to the point where we can buy the horns we want, I'd love to have a good variety of horn sounds, so I'd want a section to use alongside the mellos.

TAFL

Powerball dreams....

Most of our trumpet players own one, and I've arranged a couple of tunes for them to use as a full section, along with the mellos.

We tried this on the great jazz ballad "Who Can I Turn To?" last fall.. WHAT a beautiful, dark sound; with the flugels AND mellos on the melody.

The K-40 King Flugal Bugla arrived in the mail on 10/20/2007 and it's a beaut.

Can't wait to add it to the ensemble. :ph34r::huh::huh:

I'm real satisfied with the condition of the bugle. I only wish it had metal valve guides instead of plastic.

Oh, I better got put some ++++feedback on ebay.

Edited by Kansan

• 2 weeks later...

In Sky Ryders the year before you got there we marched six K-40s and 12 K-50 mellophones. The flugels had simple parts and were where we stuck our weaker upper brass players (sometimes being woodwind players who could get a good sound and range but had so-so technique). The parts were on their own line and were either easy fill-in sustained stuff or supported sop 3 or mello 2. As the summer progressed I was told that this section's book was toughened up as they improved and gained range and technique.

Our hornline marched:

24 K-20 sopranos in three parts with split leads

12 K-50 mellophones in two parts

6 K-40 flugelhorns

18 K-70 baritones in three parts

8 K-90 contrabasses

We did not own French horns or euphoniums at that time, though photos show that this changed shortly thereafter. Also, we only had 66 horns and not the 68 as shown. I am not sure where the two holes were, but I think that they were a bari 3 and a sop 3 … but I don't really know.

In Sky Ryders the year before you got there we marched six K-40s and 12 K-50 mellophones. The flugels had simple parts and were where we stuck our weaker upper brass players (sometimes being woodwind players who could get a good sound and range but had so-so technique). The parts were on their own line and were either easy fill-in sustained stuff or supported sop 3 or mello 2. As the summer progressed I was told that this section's book was toughened up as they improved and gained range and technique.

Our hornline marched:

24 K-20 sopranos in three parts with split leads

12 K-50 mellophones in two parts

6 K-40 flugelhorns

18 K-70 baritones in three parts

8 K-90 contrabasses

We did not own French horns or euphoniums at that time, though photos show that this changed shortly thereafter. Also, we only had 66 horns and not the 68 as shown. I am not sure where the two holes were, but I think that they were a bari 3 and a sop 3 … but I don't really know.

I never saw any French Horns or Euphoniums. We had Flugals in 85 for sure. I'm a little hazy on 87 but I swear I see Flugals on the video. I don't know if they added any new bugle types in Texas or not. One of my Bando buddies from Olathe South, Jim Miller, Played flugal in 84.

Edited by Kansan

Can't wait to add it to the ensemble. :drool::drool::drool:

I'm real satisfied with the condition of the bugle. I only wish it had metal valve guides instead of plastic.

So you are the lucky one to win the Flugel. The Dynasty flugels also have plastic valve guides in them. I won one back in August, but have to have the second valve or most of the second valve replaced. I am working with a local music store to get the parts and I am also anxious to get it into the music.

Can't wait to add it to the ensemble. :huh::huh::huh:

So you are the lucky one to win the Flugel. The Dynasty flugels also have plastic valve guides in them. I won one back in August, but have to have the second valve or most of the second valve replaced. I am working with a local music store to get the parts and I am also anxious to get it into the music.

Have not seen many Flugal Bugles out there. :huh: