Am I Crazy? I want to volunteer as a tech/instuctor

TKYR_FA1986

GO FOR IT! : ) I instructed a high school from my home town for free for 7 years. LOVED every minute of it! Their director was always super helpful to me, so I just payed him back by helping him out for free.

HOWEVER, I will caution you to not take on too much in a volunteer position. There comes a point when you should most certainly be getting paid for what you do. What that point is, is up to you, BUT be leery of programs who accept your offer and then end up having you do everything. Besides, you've got some great experience behind you, i'm sure someone would pay good money to have you work with them.

I have not marched since 1986 but lately the guard bug has been biting INCREDIBLY hard. would it be crazy to offer my services as a volunteer. I think I would be a great weapons tech/instuctor. I am 40 years old but I can still spin my a** off.

what say you?

Yes, you are crazy. But as with most crazy endeavors, you're bound to learn something, and probably reap untold rewards from putting yourself out there. Go get 'em!

:worthy::wall::wall:

GO FOR IT! : ) I instructed a high school from my home town for free for 7 years. LOVED every minute of it! Their director was always super helpful to me, so I just payed him back by helping him out for free.

HOWEVER, I will caution you to not take on too much in a volunteer position. There comes a point when you should most certainly be getting paid for what you do. What that point is, is up to you, BUT be leery of programs who accept your offer and then end up having you do everything. Besides, you've got some great experience behind you, i'm sure someone would pay good money to have you work with them.

I just went to the Atlantic Indoor Associations webpage and checked the forum. I saw 2 programs in the area looking for help. I emailed them both.

The reason I say volunteer is because I have a full time job that will be my priority. for the season I could easily make sure I am off the nights they have practice, but if ever there was a conflict. The job wins out everytime.

I just want to be in/around guard again and if I can share a little of what I know with some kids, it would be great.

where are you in aia? I'm up in Fairfax

I volunteered my first year just to help out with a school that doesn't have an instructor at all and their guard program is TERRIBLE! Even though at the same time I also had a paid position at another school...held part-time job at a retail store...and also a full time student...it never hurts to volunteer your time. I only did it for a year though since it took a lot of my time. You mentioned you just want to be a weapons tech...go for it. It doesn't hurt to help out but there are some schools where they'll be willing to work with your schedule and pay you...if you do volunteer always make sure they remember that so they don't throw everything at you to the point where you begin to think you should be paid.

Every job i've ever had teaching guard has been "volunteer"-- if you consider the amount of my "pay" i put back into the guard, the time spent writing outside of practice, revising, teaching movement, etc.... I've ended up making nothing or actually paying to teach!

But, most of us do it because we love the activity and want the kids to see what it's all about and how far they can grow, not for the cash. Anyone who tries to get into it just to make money will be sorely disappointed!

Go for it!