Kevin Nix

Kevin did a great job with Madison last year? What show were you watching? Oh, and I guess a good job means barely making semifinals. I can't wait to see what he does with a corps that has a weaker visual program. OMG, Spirit's gonna win. Kevin's drill may be functional and you may see a few effect moments thrown in there, but remember, Spirit had Michael Gaines a couple of years ago, and what happened with that? 'Nuff said.

Like others have said, you really don't have a clue, do you?

Yes, Michael Gaines wrote Spirit's drill for several years, and the general consensus was that Spirit never got his best effort, which understandably went to his bread-and-butter, the Cavaliers. Think about it. If he comes up with an incredible drill move, who do YOU think would get it?

So, last year, Spirit changed drill writers to someone for which Spirit would be his "A" team, and had a much better drill, IMO. And while Kevin Nix is the visual coordinator for 2008, the drill will be written by the same person as 2007, from what I understand.

I think "jimott01" (gee, I wish he would change his screen moniker so as not to tarnish such a great name) should stick to whining about how the 2001 Blue Devils didn't win DCI.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin did a great job with Madison last year? What show were you watching? Oh, and I guess a good job means barely making semifinals. I can't wait to see what he does with a corps that has a weaker visual program. OMG, Spirit's gonna win. Kevin's drill may be functional and you may see a few effect moments thrown in there, but remember, Spirit had Michael Gaines a couple of years ago, and what happened with that? 'Nuff said.

ok...

1.) kevin isn't writing the drill.

2.) you're CRAZY!! how can you say that kevin didn't do a great job with madison last summer? he got their visual program looking pretty #### good towards the end of the season. IMHO, if it weren't for him, they WOULDN'T have made semis.

3.) no one said spirit is gonna win. it was only said that this was a great move for them to help improve a caption that has clearly been the weaker of the captions over the last 5-6 years.

4.) you're an idiot.

What he said...

Spirit having their own drill writer just makes sense. I thought the change last year was very evident

in what was on the field. One might say "they still finished 12th" Yes they did in one of the most competitive

years in modern history. I am anxious to see what K. Nix will add to the mix visually.

Also, for those connected and "in-the-know", should we expect another big announcement soon?

Like before T-giving?

LOL, yeah, you would think I would know what is going on but......you know my information source

went off to college and never calls his dear old dad.......unless he needs $$$ :P

I'll get on to JJ about it... lol

I'm not one for argument, but I'm pumped!

Yes, Michael Gaines wrote Spirit's drill for several years, and the general consensus was that Spirit never got his best effort, which understandably went to his bread-and-butter, the Cavaliers. Think about it. If he comes up with an incredible drill move, who do YOU think would get it?

Not to mention the fact that even though Michael wrote the drill for a few years, by the time finals rolled around each summer the final product being performed was hardly what was originally written by Michael, as it had been re-written by the Spirit staff on the fly.

In fairness to all, including Michael Gaines.........................

I'm sure that re-writing will be done with the initial drill from whomever we get it from. I'm no DCI historian, but I'd rather doubt that ANY drill design has made it from start to finish of a season without obvious changes made by staffs on-the-fly. I would believe that there is regular communication between the writer and the staff on the road, throughout the season, for most corps.

Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson collaborated on Spirit's drill last year, and I would guess be doing so this year.

I agree with oldsoprano that we likely didn't get Mr. Gaines' full attention - for the reasons he stated, but we still need to be fair to him and to Spirit's leadership in that they felt it was working for them - better than their other options (none of us know what options they considered).

You're right, willyc. I certainly meant no disrespect to Michael Gaines, and didn't intend to bash him in any way. As I said in my earlier post, I think it is totally understandable and reasonable that Spirit would not get the same caliber drill from him as Cavies. For one thing, when you attract the kind of talent that the Cavaliers have attracted in recent years, you can handle a much more demanding drill.

When all is said and done, Gaines obviously will be remembered for the drills he wrote for Cavies, not for Spirit.

I don't think your post disrespected Michael Gaines in any way. My post was simply to say that, I'd guess ALL corps modify their drill on-the-run, as judges give them input. Throughout the season the ENTIRE program is a work in progress, no matter who writes your drill or horn and percussion books.

I bet even the Cavies modify theirs during the season, with Gaines' input. And I agree that, history won't hold the work he did for Spirit in the same regard as what he did for the Cavaliers - for many reasons, not just his work.

In my opinion, this isn't disrespectful to him in any way.