Cascades 2008

This is not a bashing thread.

So what is going on with the Cascades for 2008?

I know they went through a big overhaul last season with the administration and instructional staff. And some very inside sources have confirmed to me that an identical situation is taking place this season--only this time, no one is getting fired. Most of the staff currently listed on that site are not coming back, and resigned, for personal reasons (many dealing with the board of directors and their current corps director, Mike Leone)

Lewis Norfleet, the man behind the production and musical arrangements has resigned. Lewis was with the corps in the Division II/III years, and the first two years of becoming Division I. Nick Benson, last years visual caption head has resigned, and a few other staff members have chosen not to come back, due to the decisions the Board of Directors decided to make, by not honoring Lewis Norfleets 3 year plan.

John Freeman, the visual caption head they let go last year--is now back and filling that position AGAIN. Is this the third time now? What is up with recycling staff from previous years? They either resign, or they get fired--then are asked to come back. Seems like an emotional ride. If it hasn't worked now, try something different. Losing Norfleet was the biggest mistake the corps could have made. When Lewis has been involved with the corps, they have been competitively better, and a higher percentage of vets have always returned.

Rumor has it, tuition will go up slightly, and the corps is starting tour around July 7th (about one week later than normal). With that said, if I were a marching member, and saw that--I would weigh my options. Do a full tour, for the same amount of money with a top 17 or higher placing corps.

This certainly does not paint a good picture for the vets who were thinking of coming back. How can one attempt to field a full corps, when there is a constant turnover in staff each year. The corps could not even field 135 last year, and ended up fielding 115, now try to field 150 (assuming that is the goal).

The members can be positive all the want about how "good things will be"...but so far, it has not been that way. If I were a member, I would not accept these constant turnovers. I know many of the members want to be involved and make the corps better, but there is only so much that they can do. I honestly can see why veterans go elsewhere after 2 or so years now. If the administration is not going to give them consistency in staff--why should they feel obligated to return.

Cascades need to get it together, or they will not have the members to field any drum corps. Each year, this corps comes closer and closer to not fielding.

I would look into finding a corps director who can devote their time to the drum corps. As Mike Leone seems to run a full band program, and can not run the business side of the Cascades AND his band too. Oregon Crusaders was a different ball game--Running a full time Division I corps is different. Step up or get out!

This is not a bashing thread.

So what is going on with the Cascades for 2008?

I know they went through a big overhaul last season with the administration and instructional staff. And some very inside sources have confirmed to me that an identical situation is taking place this season--only this time, no one is getting fired. Most of the staff currently listed on that site are not coming back, and resigned, for personal reasons (many dealing with the board of directors and their current corps director, Mike Leone)

Lewis Norfleet, the man behind the production and musical arrangements has resigned. Lewis was with the corps in the Division II/III years, and the first two years of becoming Division I. Nick Benson, last years visual caption head has resigned, and a few other staff members have chosen not to come back, due to the decisions the Board of Directors decided to make, by not honoring Lewis Norfleets 3 year plan.

John Freeman, the visual caption head they let go last year--is now back and filling that position AGAIN. Is this the third time now? What is up with recycling staff from previous years? They either resign, or they get fired--then are asked to come back. Seems like an emotional ride. If it hasn't worked now, try something different. Losing Norfleet was the biggest mistake the corps could have made. When Lewis has been involved with the corps, they have been competitively better, and a higher percentage of vets have always returned.

Rumor has it, tuition will go up slightly, and the corps is starting tour around July 7th (about one week later than normal). With that said, if I were a marching member, and saw that--I would weigh my options. Do a full tour, for the same amount of money with a top 17 or higher placing corps.

This certainly does not paint a good picture for the vets who were thinking of coming back. How can one attempt to field a full corps, when there is a constant turnover in staff each year. The corps could not even field 135 last year, and ended up fielding 115, now try to field 150 (assuming that is the goal).

The members can be positive all the want about how "good things will be"...but so far, it has not been that way. If I were a member, I would not accept these constant turnovers. I know many of the members want to be involved and make the corps better, but there is only so much that they can do. I honestly can see why veterans go elsewhere after 2 or so years now. If the administration is not going to give them consistency in staff--why should they feel obligated to return.

Cascades need to get it together, or they will not have the members to field any drum corps. Each year, this corps comes closer and closer to not fielding.

I would look into finding a corps director who can devote their time to the drum corps. As Mike Leone seems to run a full band program, and can not run the business side of the Cascades AND his band too. Oregon Crusaders was a different ball game--Running a full time Division I corps is different. Step up or get out!

You are going to get a lot of flack for this post, but I think you that you are right on the money.

I know a lot of people around that organization and they feel the exact same way. The Cascades are a mess. I really hope they get it together, but right now they are in real trouble.

IMO they need to take a year off and figure out their finances before they can even dream about moving forward.

Sorry, but with you basing this off of "inside sources" and rumors, we can take these comments as nothing but rumors until an offical announcement on staff changes is made by the Cascades organization.... which then you can make all the accusations you want. But until then...

Topic closed