Drum Corps English Paper

tomrja

Hey everyone this is one of my first posts on this forum. I am currently writing a cause and effect paper for my english class. The topic i have chosen is based on what marching drum corps has done for me in general. I was wondering if any of you could give some insight on what drum corps has done for you. Even though i have marched for two seasons thus far i am still having trouble thinking of ways to convey to my readers what drum corps has done for me. Any advise or personal experience would be greatly appriciated.

My suggestion would be to make it as objective as possible. What kind of paper is your teacher expecting you to write? Was the assignment to write a cause and effect paper based on aspects of your own life, or was it more general? Heartfelt writing is always very cathartic and easy, but many times for school, the teacher is more focused on your writing abilities and the structural aspects of the exercise. So, in my opinion, you should do your best not to make this into "this is what I do and this is why it's so great: !!!," and to try to make it more "this is the interpersonal and introspective changes that occur when someone is involved in this activity."

This is what I would do:

Start listing things "before" and "after"

under before, list things like.. what you would do on a typical summer day.. or even a winter or fall day.. list personality traits that you think have gone from bad to good (like, did you never clean your room? Did you always have trouble getting up in the morning? Were you unmotivated to achieve things? Were you shy?)

Then under "after," you can list the things you do NOW that replace those things on your "before" list..

That can be your starting outline.. and you can build your cause/effect off those lists.

Good luck!

Stef

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

Before ---> After

*1st chair saxophone player since 4th grade ---> better at baritone than saxophone

*an okay marcher ---> the BEST marcher in my school BY FAR

*very quiet and shy ---> cocky ######## that won't shut up

*mediocre grades in school ---> grades aren't much better, but I'm doing my homework now!